How to convert a Satellite image with .bil extention to GRID in ArcGIS 10.1

12-03-2014 10:27 PM
WilsonRodrigues
New Contributor

Hi.

I started to work with ArcGIS 10.1 months ago, and recently started to work with precipitacion images and want to perform a task that usually I used to do with ArcView 3.x which is convert a satellite image (.bill format) to Grid. Everytime i try to do this in ArcMap or ArcCatalog 10.1 it gives me the same error: Failed to save dataset. I uninstalled and installed the ArcGIS, desactivated the antiviris, ckecked my licenses but the problem persist. Can you please help me?

Wilson

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

where did you save it? what was the filename? how long was it? did the folder contain spaces etc etc?

0 Kudos
WilsonRodrigues
New Contributor

Hi

I'm working in a folder which I have created just to save the grid images and has enough space. And still the problem persists.

I don't know what to do now.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing (as is Dan) that you are not following the naming rules.

• <= 13 characters (<=9 for multi band grids ["grid stacks" back in the day])
  • no spaces
  • no non alphanumeric characters (except "_")

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2): Esri GRID Format

0 Kudos
WilsonRodrigues
New Contributor

Hi

Has I wrote to Dan.I'm working in a folder which I have created just to save the grid images and has enough space. And still the problem persists. I have looked to naming rules but still.

I don't know what to do now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

copy the filename and path so we can have a look at it...you would be amazed at the number of times people have said everything is fine ... and it isn't.  Also, I hope you aren't saving to a usb drive (causes issues some times) and you did this process after closing arcmap, restarting and starting a new project...set your analysis properties, scratch workspace etc etc.  It is the little things that are the problem usually, not the software

0 Kudos