How to calculate distance of multiple points?

08-21-2017 11:11 AM
JoseBarrios2
New Contributor

Need help on how to calculate distance of multiple points. I have two layers : an input feature(office) and near feature ( projects). I want to know the distance of the projects for each office. The near tool won't work  (It calculate the distance to all points)  unless  I run the tool for each office...any ideas?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
24 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think the biggest problem is to how to dissect what you have.... one to many relationship... within a loop.  The distance calculations are trivial.  I will look around to see if someone  already has a solution to this portion of the problem

0 Kudos
BenKeller
New Contributor II

Network Analyst toolset - Closest Facility tool.

That would do this no problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

except some of the locations are offshore

0 Kudos
JoseBarrios2
New Contributor

Thanks Ben,

I don't think that the Network Analysis Tool (closest facility tool) will give the output that I need. I don't have a network data set ( I have point features) and I need to find the closest, the further and the mean distance of each project from its office. The problem is that the table from the near distance analysis only report two fields - the id of the project and the id of the office. When I run the near tool I end up with 7000 measurement for each office (almost 900,000 records).  The office ID and the projects ID are basically duplicated 128 times. I can't find a solution for this yet.. I started exporting each office and each projects to individuals data sets. so I can run the near tool..lots of work...!

JB

0 Kudos
BenKeller
New Contributor II

Ahh yes. Well if some of them are offshore then I am not sure if that would work, but ESRI's street basemap has a network embedded in it and will allow you to use the Network Analyst toolset. I think it's worth checking out, I have run this before locating multiple location distances from the airport I work at. An O/D Cost Matrix may work as well. Good Luck!

OD cost matrix analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

-Ben

0 Kudos