How does cut polygons tool decide which part of the cut polygon belongs to the old object if the object consists of several polygons?

07-24-2016 11:53 PM
AnnaHerttuainen
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm having an issue with Cut polygon tool. I'm trying to cut a polygon that is  part of an object that consists of two different polygons. When I cut the polygon, my wish is that the part closer to the other polygon, which is not cut, would belong to the object after the cutting and the other half would belong to a new object. However, what happens is that the half that is not close to the other polygon, gets linked to the old object and the other half between these polygons forms a new object. How can I change this and how does the cut polygons tool choose which part of the cutted polygon goes to old object?

Best regards

Anna

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In an edit session, cut polygon is normally used to produce holes in polygons.  Or are you referring to the clip or split tool?

AnnaHerttuainen
New Contributor

Hi Dan and thanks for your message!

We are using cut polygons tool since in the work flow this tool has been assigned to the task. Is there a reason why this tool should not be used (other than the issue I'm facing)? Is there some other tool that would be better for the job?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am not sure why the tool has been assigned to the task, since your image suggests a clip or split

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just a guess!

While using Cut Polygon tool, draw the "Cut" Line from Bottom-to-Top instead of Top-to-Bottom.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AnnaHerttuainen
New Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, this idea did not work. If you have any other ideas, let me know!

0 Kudos