How do you preserve symbology when categorizing a layer in arcmap?

Jump to solution
08-06-2019 11:56 AM
deleted-user-Vdxw2N8yTRz6
New Contributor

I have a feature class of historical signs, and I want to make the legend list them all by number (which they are labeled by in the map), and the actual name of the specific marker. To do that I decided to categorize them by Unique values through the symbology properties, so that generating the legend would be easy. What I am envisioning is that the legend displays the symbol, with the number inside of it, and then the name next to it (for 23 different markers). 

The symbol I am using is a sort of bullseye design with 2 concentric circles, and it was arduous to make it once. My problem is that when I select the categorize by unique values option, ArcMap automatically sets each unique value (numbers 1-23) to a unique symbol, in this case a colored dot that is vastly different from my preferred symbol. Is there any way I can retain the original symbology, so that I do not have to go through ArcMap's hellish graphics menus 20+ times to set all these symbols up? Conversely, if I have explained my situation clearly enough, is there an easier way to generate the ideal legend I described in the first paragraph?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

Bonner Alexander‌,

Have you tried to save the historic symbols into a style sheet before changing the symbol category?

Creating new styles—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This will make it easier to select the customized symbol which you have created when changing symbol category.

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

Bonner Alexander‌,

Have you tried to save the historic symbols into a style sheet before changing the symbol category?

Creating new styles—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This will make it easier to select the customized symbol which you have created when changing symbol category.

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia
deleted-user-Vdxw2N8yTRz6
New Contributor

I've sine finished that project and moved on, but this does seem to be the solution I was looking for. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos