How do I remove labels on the Light Grey Canvas basemap? Or download a new basemap that has NO labels? The basemaps in ArcGIS all have some small labels and I need a map that I can easily download and load with absolutely NO labels and I cannot find this

01-07-2019 10:12 AM
AmyJohnson
New Contributor

I have tried removing labels but the light grey canvas basemap doesn't have the ability to remove labels, they are still there in small letters (often, multiple labels for the same river so it is very annoying). I have not been able to find a basemap that has no labels anywhere and I really need just a basic basemap with the detail of the light grey canvas but no labels that I can use in ArcGIS. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlPollard
New Contributor III

World Light Gray Base: This map was designed to draw attention to your thematic content by providing a neutral background with minimal colors, labels, and features. Only key information is represented to provide geographic context, allowing your data to come to the foreground. This light gray basemap supports any strong colors and labels for your theme, creating a visually compelling map graphic which helps your reader see the patterns intended.  

Tile Layer by Esri

AmyJohnson
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I tried that one but it still has labels on lakes and rivers that I cannot remove and I need to remove them.

0 Kudos
StephenM
Occasional Contributor II

The Terrain With Labels basemap allows you to turn off all labels, as does the Oceans basemap (this doesn't seem to be a default basemap in ArcGIS Pro, but you can add it from this URL: Ocean/World_Ocean_Base (MapServer)).

0 Kudos
AmyJohnson
New Contributor

Thank you, I have tried that one but unfortunately it does not have the detail I need - it doesn't show lakes+rivers like the light grey canvas and I need those on the map.

0 Kudos
StephenM

Ah, here's one called Light Gray Canvas (No Labels): https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a2eae30d60e34cafaff0cc28f8edc324

AmyJohnson
New Contributor

Thanks again for the reply. That one doesn't seem to have a download link for the layer so I can add it to Arc?

0 Kudos
StephenM

You can add it in ArcGIS Pro through your portal, as detailed in this thread: Vector basemaps in ArcMap or Pro?.

Unfortunately, vector basemaps aren't supported in ArcMap. Vector tile basemap will not display in ArcMap.