How do I get data from ArcGIS desktop onto the Explorer App?

11-09-2017 10:33 AM
RegLeBlanc
New Contributor

Good day,

I need someone to explain this to me fairly thoroughly. How do I get either entire maps (created in ArcMap on my computer) or shapefiles onto the ArcGIS Explorer app for IOS?

Do I need a special subscription? Do I need to save my map as something special? Do I need to share my data on a server? How do I access the data from the app?

What is the step by step process to get my data onto the app?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find a concrete answer from the ESRI help sites.

I have a ArcGIS Basic Licence. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RegLeBlanc
New Contributor

Yes, Explorer for ArcGIS

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The download and the installation instructions are in the links... I wasn't sure if you hadn't seen them or had specific questions

0 Kudos
RegLeBlanc
New Contributor

I have the app, I want to know how to get my data (shapefiles or entire mxd files if possible) onto the app to use out in the field.

0 Kudos
RegLeBlanc
New Contributor

Is it even possible with a basic licence or do I need to have ArcGIS Enterprise?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from the help link I posted

ArcGIS account requirements

Anyone can use Explorer to view sample maps as well as search for public maps on ArcGIS Online.

To use your maps (both those you've created and those shared with you) in Explorer, you must have an ArcGIS account. ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise are supported. Portal for ArcGIS 10.4.1 is also supported.

To create maps for Explorer, you must have an ArcGIS account. If a member of an organization on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise, you must be a level 2 member. Portal for ArcGIS 10.4.1 and public accounts on ArcGIS Online are also supported.

Data requirements

Your maps can include data from ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise. For details, see Make maps.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Reg,

With ArcGIS Desktop Basic, you also get access to an ArcGIS Online organization, via the Desktop entitlement,

Add More Value to ArcGIS for Desktop 

You can publish content from ArcGIS Desktop into your ArcGIS Online organization - your data will be stored in ArcGIS Online as hosted feature layers. You can then create a web map and Explorer for ArcGIS can work with these web maps.

ArcGIS Enterprise is not required.

Hope this helps,

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Another Option is to use ArcGIS Pro and Create a Mobile Map Package to use with Explorer for ArcGIS on IOS.

Make maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS