how do I geo reference a tif. with aux.xml and tfwx files

01-29-2017 02:22 PM
JosephPlessis
New Contributor II

I have a raster dataset at: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/esd/distdata/ecosystems/TEI_Scanned_Maps/B01/B01-4779/

I need to geo reference the tif file but I have no clue what to do with the assosiated files as I am new to aux.xml, tfwx, etc.

Some clarity on how to properly project these would be awesome! 

thanks a million. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you add the tiff to a new empty data frame, check the layer's parameters.  The data frame should have been set to the coordinate system since it is the first file that is added.  The proper tool to use should you need to project the raster is

Project Raster—Help | ArcGIS Desktop with discussion here

How Project Raster works—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

It is up to you then, to make the appropriate decisions, so don't use the defaults under any circumstances, unless you agree with the cell size, extent, resampling method, etc etc... which can be access in the Environments tab of the tool in its dialog

JosephPlessis
New Contributor II

thanks for the reply dan,

recieved an ERROR -1: unidentified coordinate system, I think it is because the coordinate system info is stored outside the tif in one of the additional files.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

everything is in the same folder? It should be used if it is... I will check for an environment setting just in case it isn't

Edit

World files for raster datasets—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

if it is ignoring the world file, you can fix it... see the bottom

JosephPlessis
New Contributor II

so basically it is not reading any coordinate system, ive checked off the use world file box, still not working.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Could be the coordinate system is undefined.  If the coordinate space is correct (ie x,y or long, lat) and you know where it is... try defining it Defining or modifying a raster's coordinate system—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Your image look great. The coordinate system and the coordinate space are OK.

Just downloaded it and put it in ArcMap and you can see for yourself.

In ArcMap it looks like a single file, you do not need to worry about what file include what information.

If you copy it just copy all the files that start with the same name.

Have fun

Mody

JosephPlessis
New Contributor II

SOLVED, silly mistake on my part, I had to right click in the aux.xml web page and "save as".

thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos