How do I add zipcodes to a CSV with only a street address

09-30-2015 12:47 PM
tonystowe
New Contributor

I have a CSV file with 100,000 lines of crime data that I want to geocode.  The problem is the data only has the street address and does not have an associated zipcode so i cannot geocode the data.

I have two files:

2014_Crime.csv

County_Zipcode.shp

I do not know Python and am limited with using ModelBuilder so I need your all's assistance with making this process easier. 

QUESTION:  How can I create a shapefile that will merge the 35 zipcodes in the county and I have no idea as to how I can efficiently geocode the 100,000 incidents and end up with a clean shapefile.

I manually did this by creating 35 columns in the excel file for the 35 zipcodes, then copied the zipcodes for all 100,000 incidents.  I then manually geocoded the Crime CSV for each zipcode.  One zipcode would have 2,000 incidents, another 450 incidents, another 35 zipcodes, and so forth.  Once complete, I had to manually remove all Unmatched records from each of the 35 shapefiles and then combine everything.

The 2014 crime data is the first of 14 years of crime data that we plan to analyze so the above process is not ideal.

What suggestions do you all have to a solution because I need help!

Thanks,

Tony

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Are you trying to geocode your street address to the zip code or do you have another locator your are using, such as one based off of street data?

-Steven

0 Kudos
tonystowe
New Contributor

I have an address locator created using our 911 center lines for the county so i will use that locator.

Yes, I want to geocode the street address with the correct zipcode.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm not sure that you will be able to relate the zip code to the correct address until after it's geocoded.  You should be able to geocode the street addresses without city or zip code fairly accurately since you have your own locator (if everything is in one city).

-Steven