How do I add dynamic images with attachments with data driven pages?

11-22-2017 09:44 AM
JoshuaJohnson4
New Contributor

I am trying to add dynamic images to a map with data driven pages. I have found the following resources:

1st. Enabling attachments—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

2nd: Adding attachments to features—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

3rd: How To: Add dynamic images to a map document with attachments from Data Driven Pages 

I can get through all three tutorials, until I get to 3rd.6, which tells me to select "Attachment from data driven pages". I cannot do this, as the option is grayed out. I have tried on 10.3.1(standard) and 10.5(advanced), multiple times for both. I don't know what step I am missing. I have added only 2 images to the attachments for testing purposes. Do I need to fill out the whole table for it to work? What am I missing?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This might seem like a strange process, but have you tried -

1). Inserting a random image from your hard drive

2). Right-click on the image and go into the tab that allows you to choose the source.

3). Attempt to choose the "Attachment" as your image source.

I have seen this happen before and then when I follow these steps, it tends to work. The main question is are you attempting to use a Hosted Feature service or a locally located File Geodatabase that contains the layer with the attachments enabled?

I have found that attempting to use data driven pages while using a hosted feature service is more difficult to have the attachments show up while using data driven pages. The above process will get the images to come, but if you close and reopen the MXD, then you will need to re-complete the process above. This is also true for ArcGIS PRO.

0 Kudos
JoshuaJohnson4
New Contributor

All of my data is stored locally, on the C: drive. Unfortunately, your process did not work. I have my main vector shapefile with an attached database/table with 2 entries for attachments and a relationship in my geodatabase.

I have no idea why this isn't working.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is strange as it is working with my Feature class that has attachments enabled. Are you building the Data Driven Pages off of the Feature Class that has the attachments enabled?

I simply added the feature class and attachments table into the data frame, set the Data driven pages to my feature class, inserted an image, then right-clicked, and changed the source to the Attachment option.

0 Kudos
ArmandoFreites
New Contributor III

I have success attach picture, but don't see in the layout with map series, please help me with this.

0 Kudos