How can i join multiple excel data for every single Polygon?

03-15-2021 08:20 AM
FurkanGenişyürek
New Contributor II

Hello. The problem is; there is too much data for a single polygon. I have 55 polygon and nearly 950 Excel data. I cant directly join Excel. Because, Polygon's Attribute Table just showing one data for every single polygon. I tried that; "Make Query Table" tool. Thanks to it, I can combine excel data and polygon data as a table. But i cant join it. I want analyst this excel data. I tryed edit .dbf file, but Arcgis has an error and not opened it. How can i join it to shpfile?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you doing a spatial join or attribute join? also by '950 excel data' do you mean 950 entries/rows or 950 individual spreadsheets?

Please provide detail, at the moment your post is just confusing and poorly explained.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My first suggestion is that you use the excel to table tool to convert your spreadsheet into a database table. It is much easier to work with ArcGIS tables rather than excel spreadsheets.

I can only assume you have a valid key field between the polygons and your excel data.  With as many rows as your excel data seems to have, a join may not work.  Joins in ArcGIS are 1 to 1 or Many to 1, but not 1 to Many.  If you have 1 polygon and many records in the excel data, you will need to use a relate rather than a join.

That should just about do it....
FurkanGenişyürek
New Contributor II

Thanks to reply. I did excel to table with "Make Query Table" tool. But i cant using it table for spatial analyst.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That is not the tool to use: see the online help linked in my post above.  All that step does is take the excel spread sheet and convert it into an ArcGIS data table.  You will be limited in your analytical approaches if you are using shapefles and converting the excel spreadsheet into a .dbf table.  I strongly urge you to use a File Geodatabse in which to store your data, both spatial and tablular.  

0 Kudos
FurkanGenişyürek
New Contributor II

This gave an Error. I wanna just spatial analyst with data.. Apparently there is no such thing in ArcGIS. Thank you..

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Check your field names; be sure they don't start with a number and/or have special characters in them.

Well.... I've been using ESRI products since 1990 and have always been able to perform spatial analyses with all of them.

0 Kudos