How can I export narrative text I've written in Story Maps?

11-13-2017 11:02 AM
MelissaDollman
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a question about workflow. I've been advised, as part of my digital dissertation process, to verify that I can export TEXT (not csv files, etc.) from Story Maps and/or ArcGIS Online. Of course I can write the text and cut/paste in -- reformat it therein or cut/paste in the HTML.  However, what about the other way around?

Thank you,

Melissa

Tags (1)
7 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

Are you purely talking about text content, or do you mean apps, maps & data too?

In the Map Journal template, it's possible to export the text content to one page which you can then copy and paste in to your ideal format - this is through the Organize option when editing:

This function is not in any of the Story Map Series templates but I haven't checked all the story map templates. 

Carmel

MelissaDollman
New Contributor III

Hello Carmel,

Thank you so much for responding -- I'm not sure I've seen this as an option even with the journals I embedded in the series. Do you think it's because I have ArcGIS online?

See screenshot for the options I seem to have. Ignore those warnings.  -Melissa

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

Your screenshot is from the Share option at the top of the Map Journal while editing, instead look to the bottom left (depends on what layout you're using) for the Organize option 

And in there you'll find the option to export the content

Carmel

0 Kudos
MelissaDollman
New Contributor III

Hi again,

I'm thinking we don't have the same version as I do not have that option (maybe because I use ArcGIS Online?) See screenshot. I have scoured every corner and don't see an option -- I don't see it on your image either.

Here's what mine looks like:

Thanks again!

Melissa

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

What do you see if you click on the Organize button in your screenshot?

Carmel

MelissaDollman
New Contributor III

OK! I actually see the Export Content button now -- but only if I open individual Map Journals! Sadly, it does not work with Series -- and I have embedded series and cascades throughout. However when I'm done this might be one way to expedite the process. 

Results!  

I very much appreciate your sticking with it here. 

Melissa

CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

Glad you've found it - yes I've only found that option in Map Journals and no other story map templates. If this is something you think you'd encounter again, it might be worth posting it as an idea here: https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas  - Ideas are regularly implemented to ArcGIS Online, considering it's updated so often

Carmel

0 Kudos