How can I create raster from the value joined from a table in gSSURGO production

11-09-2013 06:18 AM
TianyiZhang
New Contributor
Hi everybody,

I am a new to ArcGIS. I am using a soil GIS production (gSSURGO). The UserGuide can be seen here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61_JM-jDX9NRGlJZ2lHMVFCNTg/edit?usp=sharing).

In this production, they have a raster file (the MuRaster_WV in Page 8 of userGuid), which have a ID key (mukey in Page 10) that is used for linking to other variables stored in tables. As you can see from userguid, they first load MuRaster_WV (P.8) and then link it with other three variables in muaggatt (P.17), and then show the spatial distribution for hydgrpdcd (P.20) and aws0150wta (P. 23).

So far so good, but I want to resample and merge aws0150wta data. But I found I failed probably because the aws0150wta is still in table but not as a raster file (is it right reason?). Thus I am wondering how can I create raster from the value joined from a table in the production?

An example data can be downloaded from here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61_JM-jDX9NUFNFUjYwQTNoa1k/edit?usp=sharing).

Sorry my mother language is not English. If you cannot understand, please let me know. I appreciate to your help. Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Hi everybody,

I am a new to ArcGIS. I am using a soil GIS production (gSSURGO). The UserGuide can be seen here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61_JM-jDX9NRGlJZ2lHMVFCNTg/edit?usp=sharing).

In this production, they have a raster file (the MuRaster_WV in Page 8 of userGuid), which have a ID key (mukey in Page 10) that is used for linking to other variables stored in tables. As you can see from userguid, they first load MuRaster_WV (P.8) and then link it with other three variables in muaggatt (P.17), and then show the spatial distribution for hydgrpdcd (P.20) and aws0150wta (P. 23).

So far so good, but I want to resample and merge aws0150wta data. But I found I failed probably because the aws0150wta is still in table but not as a raster file (is it right reason?). Thus I am wondering how can I create raster from the value joined from a table in the production?

An example data can be downloaded from here (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B61_JM-jDX9NUFNFUjYwQTNoa1k/edit?usp=sharing). Sorry my mother language is not English. If you cannot understand, please let me know. I appreciate to your help. Thank you very much.

Tianyi,

Really intersting raster question.

Just have the brief for your reference (resample, merge):

1. Convert /export raster with the attribute 'aws0150wta' from GDB via 'Raster to Polygon', (because the soil data is not 'continuous' raster);
2. Dissolve this polygone on 'aws0150wta';
3. Convert back to raster;
4. Use the GP tool 'Resample' under Raster Processing (what is the intention for you to resample 'NON continuous' raster?)

+++++
Note,
The sample is not same raster that you are working. So far, it is not easy to identify how raster is associated with the attribute 'aws0150wta'.
0 Kudos
TianyiZhang
New Contributor
Tianyi,

Really intersting raster question.

Just have the brief for your reference (resample, merge):

1. Convert /export raster with the attribute 'aws0150wta' from GDB via 'Raster to Polygon', (because the soil data is not 'continuous' raster);
2. Dissolve this polygone on 'aws0150wta';
3. Convert back to raster;
4. Use the GP tool 'Resample' under Raster Processing (what is the intention for you to resample 'NON continuous' raster?)

+++++
Note,
The sample is not same raster that you are working. So far, it is not easy to identify how raster is associated with the attribute 'aws0150wta'.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried it. But it seems not working.
Because in the step 1, I click Raste to Polygon, and fill the raster (MuRaster_10m), I found there in no 'aws0150wta' in the 'Field(optional)'. I have added the aws0150wta in attribution. So I am not allowed to export raster with the attribution 'aws0150wta'.
Please see attach
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28991[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III
Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried it. But it seems not working.
Because in the step 1, I click Raste to Polygon, and fill the raster (MuRaster_10m), I found there in no 'aws0150wta' in the 'Field(optional)'. I have added the aws0150wta in attribution. So I am not allowed to export raster with the attribution 'aws0150wta'.
Please see attach
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28991[/ATTACH]

Tianyi,

I see the issue.

Pls select the raster (joined with the attribute 'aws0150wta'); export raster directly by Export in ArcMap, which will create a raster with the attribute �??aws0150wta�??.

Pls refer to http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//009t00000063000000

Again, with categorical vector layer, it would be easy for you to merge. So, advisable to convert into vector and then dissolve on the attribute �??aws0150wta�??.

Pls communicate via the Private Message, when more needed.
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Tianyi,

If you look at the Help on "Raster to Polygon (Conversion)" it states that the "raster field" (the field used to assign values from the cells in the input raster to the polygons in the output dataset) can only be integer or string. Your AWS is double and this will not work as you experienced.

What I don't know is why one would want to convert the raster data to vector (polygons) if the "Lookup (Spatial Analyst)" tool will give you a raster with the AWS values. The help states that the "Lookup field" (the field containing the desired values for the new raster) can be numeric or string type.

It is easy to merge raster together using the "Mosaic To New Raster (Data Management)" tool.

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
larryzhang1
New Contributor III

If you look at the Help on "Raster to Polygon (Conversion)" it states that the "raster field" (the field used to assign values from the cells in the input raster to the polygons in the output dataset) can only be integer or string. Your AWS is double and this will not work as you experienced.

What I don't know is why one would want to convert the raster data to vector (polygons) if the "Lookup (Spatial Analyst)" tool will give you a raster with the AWS values. The help states that the "Lookup field" (the field containing the desired values for the new raster) can be numeric or string type.

It is easy to merge raster together using the "Mosaic To New Raster (Data Management)" tool....

Always learning new, it is really good. Thanks, Xander,

You would be right via using the "Mosaic To New Raster (Data Management)" tool, if to merge (many) rasters�?�

It would be also very nice by �??Lookup (Spatial Analyst)�??, if the question is �??how to classify raster on the attribute �??AWS�??

Regards,

+++++++++++

However, the question looks to me: how to �??merge�?? the categorical cells in �??single�?? raster, which is based on the attribute 'aws0150wta'.

In fact, for �??categorical�?? raster, there is an effective way to convert to vector, no matter if it is integer or double. On the Help Documentation 'Raster to Polygon', not sure why it give users like that. Maybe, we should be cautious, when reading the Help Documentation �?�

Pls see the attachments..
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
If this is the question:

So far so good, but I want to resample and merge aws0150wta data. But I  found I failed probably because the aws0150wta is still in table but not  as a raster file (is it right reason?). Thus I am wondering how can I  create raster from the value joined from a table in the production.

... then I still think there's no problem in doing what I described before. Just Join the table to the raster and either symbolize on the joined column (as described in the manual):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29010[/ATTACH]

or create a new raster with Lookup based on the joined column:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29011[/ATTACH]

Either way will give the result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29012[/ATTACH]

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
TianyiZhang
New Contributor
Hi Tianyi,

It is easy to merge raster together using the "Mosaic To New Raster (Data Management)" tool.

Kind regards,

Xander

Thanks for your reply! Xander. It works. I learned new!!!
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Hi Tianyi,

I'm glad I could be of any assistance. If you think it was helpful you   can use the "arrow" button in order to help other  members find useful  information:

More info here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/forums-mvp/

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos