How can I add mutiple point data to on polygon in Arcmap?

12-19-2017 07:05 AM
FlorentinBrendler
New Contributor

Hey guys,

I`m looking for help for a small Arcmap-problem. I`m trying a spatial join between point and polygon data. If I try the way to add the polygons to the points, it works, but it keeps the point layout (I want the polygon layout). If I try the way to add the points to the polygons, one point is added to one polygon, but there are more points, which should be added to the same polygon, but they are lost. 

Can somebody help me? I would appreciate it very much!

Best wishes,

Florentin 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Look at this:

• Spatial Join (ArcToolbox > Analysis Tools > Overlay)

This tool adds fields from the Other layer's attribute table to the Main layer's table based upon a spatial relationship (such as Intersects, Contains, Is_Within, or Closest) between the features of the two layers.

The join operation can be one-to-one or one-to-many. If the join operation is one-to-many, the output feature class can contain duplicated records from the Main feature class to match corresponding records in the Other feature class.

How To: Create a one-to-many join in ArcMap 

FlorentinBrendler
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your hint, I tried it, but it still does not work. Also your description says it CAN contain duplicated records, which means in my case it can not

Do you know a way how to trick the system? 

Thanks a lot?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you don't want a one-to-one relationship, then you are looking for a many-to-one relationship which is called a 'relate'

See essentials of relating tables

FlorentinBrendler
New Contributor

Thank you very much, I found a way to do it!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If not of the above provided the answer, can you tell us what did?

0 Kudos
FlorentinBrendler
New Contributor

I spoke to my supervisor and we decided that the join of the polygon to the points is sufficient for my analysis!

Sorry for this individual answer... 

0 Kudos
LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm a bit late to the show, but I came across this issue myself and wanted to find a way.

You could join multiple point data field information to a single polygon, for example join all the cities in a country to the single country polygon.

Steps

1) Spatial Join in toolbox 

Setup as image shows

2) Now the most important part. On the city name field right click > properties > adjust the merge rule from the default 'first' to 'join' and add a delimiter ','

NOTE - make sure the field length will be long enough to take the data (can be increased in same window) 

3) This will append all the city names (point data) to the polygon separated by the delimiter we provided.

Hope this helps somebody!

cs_59
by
New Contributor

This has been super helpful! Thanks!

0 Kudos