How are SDE/Oracle instances licensed in a virtual enviroment

11-14-2014 11:44 AM
RicaSaporta
New Contributor III

Can anyone tell me how SDE geodatabases are licensed? in a virtual environment?

Let's say I have the following set up:

- a physical server with 100 CPUs hosting several virtual server.

- a virtual Oracle server with 36 CPUs

- on the Oracle server I have 10 instances that leverage SDE, i.e. 10 SDE_HOME locations

Do I need to license 36 CPUs for the virtual server, or a 4-CPU license for each of teh SDE_HOME folders?

What happens if I only have 3 SDE_HOME folders on the machine?

I am trying to better understand this, as we are using ArcGIS Enterprise BASIC to license our SDE and ArcGIS Enterprise ADVANCED for our web servers - I want to make sure i understand how many licenses (packs beginning with 4-CPUs) I really need.

my thanks for any insight

rica

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The authorization file is required when a database is enabled as a geodatabase using the create enterprise geodatabase or enable geodatabase geoprocessing tools in ArcCatalog. Depending on your license agreement it is possible that you may be able to use the same authorization file for all 10 databases. I would check with your Account Manager for any questions regarding your license agreement.

You will  be able to connect to these Oracle databases through a direct connection in ArcCatalog without authorizing them with the ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Basic license ecp file. However, the databases will not be able to leverage the ArcGIS functionality (such as topologies, networks, versioned editing, archiving, or replication) until it is authorized as a geodatabase.

Enabling geodatabase functionality in an Oracle database

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Create Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)

Enable Enterprise Geodatabase (Data Management)

0 Kudos