Help! Entering/formatting Radius and Distance from survey using COGO Traverse

03-28-2014 09:08 AM
JohnDriessen
New Contributor III
I've been banging my head against my monitor and cannot find any resources which explain how to properly enter Radius and Distance a format which the Traverse/COGO Tool will accept. 

Description:
Thence Northerly along a spiraled curve to the left of a radius of 1,146.3 feet for a distance of 327.9 feet

Any thoughts?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
With just the radius and a distance, im assuming its a tangent curve from the last segment. The distance could be either distance along the curve (arc) or the chord length (chord).
In the traverse dialog choose 'Tangent Curve' then set the arc/chord, radius and direction parameters. 'Add' should then be enabled.
If 'Northerly' actually means something, it could be the chord direction when entering as a curve, but i wouldn't think so in this case.
I hope you don't have any true 'spiraled curves' either, as they cant be entered through the UI.
0 Kudos
JohnDriessen
New Contributor III
Thanks for your help.  The problem I'm having is that even though I type in
Radius: 1146           Chord: 327    Turn: Left
and if I try Curve with Radial Direction: N or 0 I still can't add the segment.  Is there a different format I should be using when typing in my numbers?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Is there a different format I should be using when typing in my numbers?

There's not much that can go wrong with the tangent curve entry using two distances. You must have at least one segment in the sketch already then enter arc 327.9, radius as 1146.3 then Left. The add button should then be enabled.

If this is the starting segment of the traverse then it will be a regular curve where 'Northerly' could be the tangent direction in addition to the arc and radius. The only trick with entering angles is they must entered using the direction units format specified on the editor options units dialog.
0 Kudos