Has anybody been working with Canvec data recently? (Canada data)

11-07-2016 02:36 PM
Noah_McLaughlin
New Contributor II

Hello fellow mappers.

I'm trying to join some downloaded CANVEC data (canada vector data sheets) to the  associated style file that is given along with the vector data.... But as where the data has been butchered (fields removed and ultered), I am unable to join on the respected code field.

Has anyone dealt with the data recently, and ran into this same issue?

Does anyone have a relatively quick work around?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you on this page ?? Prepackaged data sets | Natural Resources Canada 

do note the codes have changed between the new and the old

and then there is required read ... http://ftp.geogratis.gc.ca/pub/nrcan_rncan/vector/canvec/doc/CanVec_en_Specifications.pdf 

and the root page

Free Data - GeoGratis | Natural Resources Canada 

Noah_McLaughlin
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

should be the same data, unless there is difference between the prepackaged and the interactive (prepackaged link is just to the right of the search button which takes you to my links)

Noah_McLaughlin
New Contributor II

I am aware the codes have changed, which made the data unable to be linked  as before, to the style file (ill attach it). My question is... is there a quick way to link the feature classes to the style file without updating the codes 1 by 1?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't do much stuff with styles, so that would make you the expert... but I am sure you are aware of this

Managing style contents—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and if the CanVec data did a huge change, then one would presume that either the translation would be painless, or they forgot to include something with their data.  It might be worth linking to them as well.

0 Kudos