Georeferencing/ Rectify .tif: Failed to build pyramids; Failed to Save Raster dataset

07-07-2011 06:13 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: juliamayn@gmail.com

Good day,

I am having a peculiar response from the ArcMap 9.2 with respect to georeferencing/ rectifying .tif images. For the past couple of weeks I have been georeferencing .tif images and rectifying them. However, yesterday evening after working perfectly for the entire morning, when I georeferenced an image and tried to rectify it, and error message "Failed to Save Raster dataset" appeared.

Georeferencing and rectifying previously rectified images produced the same error, and this morning the program now gives a message "Failed to build pyramids" when adding .tiff images to ArcMap. Pretty strange to me- seemed to happen 'out of the blue', and I have not seen any threads on this, so the guidance is lacking.

Any answers on why this may be happenning will be greatly appreciated as I am on a pretty tight deadline.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: juliamayn@gmail.com

Found out the error that same day- lack of space on the disk being used
0 Kudos
SrijanaDawadi
New Contributor
Hello,

I have the same problem as yours. It says "Failed to save raster dataset" when I try to rectify the geo referenced image. Were you able to figure out why this happened and what  is the solution to this?
I would really appreciate your solution to this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Good day,

I am having a peculiar response from the ArcMap 9.2 with respect to georeferencing/ rectifying .tif images. For the past couple of weeks I have been georeferencing .tif images and rectifying them. However, yesterday evening after working perfectly for the entire morning, when I georeferenced an image and tried to rectify it, and error message "Failed to Save Raster dataset" appeared.

Georeferencing and rectifying previously rectified images produced the same error, and this morning the program now gives a message "Failed to build pyramids" when adding .tiff images to ArcMap. Pretty strange to me- seemed to happen 'out of the blue', and I have not seen any threads on this, so the guidance is lacking.

Any answers on why this may be happenning will be greatly appreciated as I am on a pretty tight deadline.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: uiww5a2n1

Has your problem solved? I meet this problem too. Could you tell me how to solve it please?

Hello,

I have the same problem as yours. It says "Failed to save raster dataset" when I try to rectify the geo referenced image. Were you able to figure out why this happened and what  is the solution to this?
I would really appreciate your solution to this problem.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
VasilikiAnastasi
New Contributor
Hello.
Srijana18 did you manage to resolve your issue? Because I have the same problem as well and cannot find the solution to it. Thank you very much in advance
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: hold99

Having a similar issue. In ArcMap 10.1 I can't rectify a georeferenced image. The procedure returns the erorr: "Failed to save raster dataset".
0 Kudos
DerekNelson
New Contributor II
I would recommend all to try and clear up some space on computer...depending on size of raster you may get this response bc the comp has no more space to compute. Try a disk cleanup/defrag, restart and try again...usually this is the case
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: armein01

I have been trying to simply georeference a tiff image all day.  I am frustrated beyond belief!
I have done this many time in previous version but can no longer get the georeferencing to work. 
Converted to composite, rectified, updated georeferencing, nothing works.
the image will twist,turn itself upside down and I mean face of the image to the earth!  Then I stopped it from auto adjusting.
This stopped the twisting, and I was able to finally get all links done and a reasonable RMS.
Go to update or rectify and it is no longer accurately placed.
This a scanned topo to a georeferenced topo.
It should not be this difficult.
Next I will load all the images into geodatabase as grids, but how in the world did this function get so messed up?!
Does anyone know how to make this work in 10?  I have service pack 5.

Thanks,
Alicia
0 Kudos