Georeferencing Problem - Image disappears when using Update Georeferencing

02-19-2014 09:32 AM
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
I am having problems with Georeferencing raster images. I have been using the georeferencing toolbar since version 8 and have had no issues. I recently installed a trial of 10.2 and am now having problems. My data frame is set to UTM Zone 12 Nad 83 and I have Twp\Rge layers to reference the image to. I am attempting to georeference a landowner map so I zoom roughly to the county boundary, fit to page and zoom to one corner. I add control points on 4 corners, the auto-adjust option is turned on so it automatically references to the correct location. After 4 points the RMS is low and the image appears in the correct location. When I hit the update georeferencing button the image disappears and shifts to a seemingly random location. I have tried multiple images and have the same problem each time. I tried using the Rectify option instead of the Update Georeferencing and it works fine. Same control points and same process and the Rectify works but the Update Georeferencing fails. I don't like the Rectify option because in typical ArcMap fashion it resamples the image and the resultant image is of lower resolution than the original.

help please
43 Replies
StephenKilburn
New Contributor III

I have encountered this problem in the past, and have just encountered it again using 10.5.1.) I finally decided to give it a good hard look and try to understand it. I believe I can explain what is going on, and I have a kludge to get around it.

Cutting to the chase for those who want the kludge:
1. Add the image to the MXD.
2. Add any single arbitrary georeferencing point to the link table.
3. Georeferencing > Update Georeferencing
4. Remove the image from the MXD.
5. Delete the aux.xml file associated with the image.
6. Add the image. (It will pop in at a somewhat different location.)
7. Georeference as usual.

(This slightly messes up my workflow, as I normally Build Pyramids and Statistics for all images, and deleting the aux.xml file deletes the statistics, but these can be built later.)

OBSERVATIONS AND EXPLANATION:

In my current project, I am working in NAD 1983 BC Albers (WKID 102190), which has a linear unit of meters. Choosing one of my problem images and using ImageMagick identify, the TIFF has tags (among others): Geometry=16853x10772+0+0, Resolution=300x300, units=PixelsPerInch, Print size=56.1767x35.9067", Orientation=TopLeft.

When I insert a problem image and mouse over the approximate top left and bottom right corners the projected location reads as approximately 0,36 and 56,0 meters. (The image is inserted into the MXD with no projection information. However, when it is inserted it still needs to be mapped to some location in the CRS [i.e, to zoom to the image it cannot be outside the space mapped by the CRS]. The mapping apparently is transforming 300 pixels per inch to 300 pixels per meter, hence 0,36 and 56,0, ballpark original image locations in inches.)

If I georeference points close to these corners to known locations, the coordinate pairs in the link table are:

1.351994  34.575973  952183.094839  856847.715658
51.362419  1.250201  1034479.259431  801983.605930

(As it happens, the second pair in each case are absolute, known coordinates that are provided by snapping to a grid.)

When I update the georeferencing the TIFF file size increases by around 170KB. Arc is writing something to it. Whatever it is is not seen in the tags ImageMagick reads -- they look exactly the same. However, something in that 170KB makes Arc add the image in a different location, where the approximate corners are 0,0 and 56,-36 meters. Presumably this is the correct location, trusting that Orientation=TopLeft means that 0,0 should be the top left corner and that Arc is ignoring that the mapping should be pixels per inch instead of pixels per meter. If I georeference this with the two corners my coordinate pairs in the link table are:

0.937064  -0.727514  952183.094839  911711.825387
50.812487  -34.239148  1034479.259431  856847.715658

And that works fine. (Of course, I'm simplifying and using only two points when I'd normally use more.)

I note that looking at the (incorrect) first aux.xml and (correct) second aux.xml that they have different values for <XOrigin>, <YOrigin>, and <XYScale>.

I'd be happy if ESRI would look into this. The details above should be enough for a programmer to determine why images are being added apparently using the wrong corner as the origin.

StephenKCA
New Contributor II

Revisiting this one more time, here is a quick-and-dirty Python script that automates the kludge for a whole directory full of TIFFs.

import arcpy, os
from arcpy import env

# Script arguments
inputWorkspace = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)

# Set workspace
env.workspace = inputWorkspace

# Arbitrary one point file parked where Python script is. Mine contains "24.896918 18.439029 24.896918 18.439029"
# Could create this on the fly, then delete it at the end.
regPtsFile = "fixregistration.txt"

# Loop through rasters
for inRaster in arcpy.ListRasters():
    # Update georeferencing arbitrarily.
    arcpy.RegisterRaster_management(inRaster, "REGISTER", "#", regPtsFile, "ADJUST", "#")
    # Delete the created xml file.
    tifAuxXmlFile = os.path.join(inputWorkspace, inRaster + ".aux.xml")
    if os.path.isfile(tifAuxXmlFile):
        os.remove(tifAuxXmlFile)
    else:
        # If it fails, inform the user.
        print("Error: %s file not found" % tifAuxXmlFile)

0 Kudos
SamanthaDoering
New Contributor

To resuscitate an old thread, I've been floating between Desktop 10.7.1 and Desktop 10.8.1 and was still encountering the same issue with "Update Georeferencing" when working with TIFFs.  

However, I was poking around in the Customize --> ArcMap Options --> Raster --> Raster Dataset settings and also unchecked Create Tiled TIFF. Keeping both Use world file to define the coordinates of the raster and Create Tiled TIFF unchecked seems to create some stability when using "Update Georeferencing" for TIFFs.

0 Kudos