Georeferencing Problem - Image disappears when using Update Georeferencing

02-19-2014 09:32 AM
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
I am having problems with Georeferencing raster images. I have been using the georeferencing toolbar since version 8 and have had no issues. I recently installed a trial of 10.2 and am now having problems. My data frame is set to UTM Zone 12 Nad 83 and I have Twp\Rge layers to reference the image to. I am attempting to georeference a landowner map so I zoom roughly to the county boundary, fit to page and zoom to one corner. I add control points on 4 corners, the auto-adjust option is turned on so it automatically references to the correct location. After 4 points the RMS is low and the image appears in the correct location. When I hit the update georeferencing button the image disappears and shifts to a seemingly random location. I have tried multiple images and have the same problem each time. I tried using the Rectify option instead of the Update Georeferencing and it works fine. Same control points and same process and the Rectify works but the Update Georeferencing fails. I don't like the Rectify option because in typical ArcMap fashion it resamples the image and the resultant image is of lower resolution than the original.

help please
43 Replies
KellyWright
New Contributor III

Thank you! That took care of the issue. You have saved me hours of frustration. I appreciate your very very VERY fast response. (FYI, your email signature ended up on GeoNet, not sure if you want that personal information out on the interwebs.) 

0 Kudos
KellyWright
New Contributor III

I spoke too soon. It worked once, and then not again. I also took Petronila Mandeno's advice (below) and removed all other TIFFs from the map document, but it is still losing its position when I select "Update Georeferencing." Going to have to stop for the day before I pull out my own hair. 

0 Kudos
GregoryBurda
New Contributor II

I've had this issue in 10.6 and 10.7 so it's been frustrating. In ArcMap Options > Raster > Raster Dataset the box for "Use world file to define..." was already unchecked. I tried your suggestion of NOT building pyramids and it worked. Thanks!

PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

Just some more two cents: what seems to work best for me is to load only one image at a time. If I have more than one image to geo-reference in the data frame, then which ever one I just to geo-reference goes wonky when I try to update. But if I only have one image to geo-reference in the data frame, all goes well.

I know, that seems totally random, but it's what I've found works for my system (because rectifying takes way way too long). I hope that helps someone.

0 Kudos
WhitneyNewcomb
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem with my larger rasters.tiff images with 10.5

I have tried the above mentioned solutions, currently trying the Rectify option - which is not optimal for me since it takes longer than I need it to.

I would love a solution ESRI (and please do not tell me to move to Pro).

KellyWright
New Contributor III

Upon further testing and after conferring with some other nearby agencies that use GIS to georeference plan sheets, we determined that part of the problem MIGHT have been that these TIFFs were stored on a network drive. When the files that were not retaining the georeferencing were pulled to the local machine, the georeferencing stuck. That said, we then had to have our end users pull those files local for the georeferencing to display correctly, so this was not the ultimate workaround, just a workaround. Some files did not have this problem even when stored on the network drive, so even this workaround was a bit random. Also, we did try to georeference plan sheets in Pro, and found that when we "saved" the georeferencing, the plan sheet would move off where we told it to be every time. We tried with multiple transformation types. We never did get it to stick. All in all this has been a significant Esri fail. 

RickIngle
New Contributor III

One other thing I noticed - and I have no idea whether it has anything to do with the problem - is that I started having this problem almost immediately (if not immediately) after I upgraded to 10.5.1. It was also not long after I started using Pro in a big way (although this problem is in Desktop). Any ideas?

0 Kudos
KyleBearden1
New Contributor II

I've had this same problem.  What seems to be working for me is to hit "update display" first, then hit "update georeferencing"

RickIngle
New Contributor III

Kyle,

Thanks so much for this solution. I have been using it for a few weeks and it works great. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
JohnBranum
New Contributor III

"Update Display" then "Update Georeferencing" worked immediately after I read it, then I imported my next TIFF (with no pyramids) and tried again.  Update Display looked good, then Update Georeferencing kicked it a hundred feet west.

I'm almost glad this failed since this particular project is for live review, and the non-pyramid drawings just ooze down the screen like molasses, so I really didn't want that to be the solution.

I fear without universal consistency we have no way of knowing what's actually working and what's just luck, but as another data point for troubleshooting, I'll add that I do have several large TIFFs crammed into this one data frame.

John on 10.5.1