Georeferencing Problem - Image disappears when using Update Georeferencing

02-19-2014 09:32 AM
JasonLamberts
New Contributor II
I am having problems with Georeferencing raster images. I have been using the georeferencing toolbar since version 8 and have had no issues. I recently installed a trial of 10.2 and am now having problems. My data frame is set to UTM Zone 12 Nad 83 and I have Twp\Rge layers to reference the image to. I am attempting to georeference a landowner map so I zoom roughly to the county boundary, fit to page and zoom to one corner. I add control points on 4 corners, the auto-adjust option is turned on so it automatically references to the correct location. After 4 points the RMS is low and the image appears in the correct location. When I hit the update georeferencing button the image disappears and shifts to a seemingly random location. I have tried multiple images and have the same problem each time. I tried using the Rectify option instead of the Update Georeferencing and it works fine. Same control points and same process and the Rectify works but the Update Georeferencing fails. I don't like the Rectify option because in typical ArcMap fashion it resamples the image and the resultant image is of lower resolution than the original.

help please
43 Replies
GergelySzalay
New Contributor

Thanks Brandt, you saved my day! This option does exatly the opposite to what was intended!

0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson2
New Contributor III

This was the solution to the same issue I suddenly started having with 10.3.1 yesterday. I followed your instructions and I was finally able to update georeferencing again. Thank you for documenting!

0 Kudos
EthanKyzivat
New Contributor

Awesome.  Same issue in Arcmap 10.6 and it was resolved with your suggestion!

0 Kudos
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

I just started having this problem. I've been using ArcMap since...since...well, since it was ArcView.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with the georeferencing tool, but now I am getting this exact problem running 10.5. It just started doing it yesterday. Completely out of the blue. I haven't changed any setting (that I know of). And the option noted above by @Brandt Meyer IS unchecked.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
StefKoroblitsas
New Contributor II

Im having the exact same issue Petronila, only started at 10.5 and my  "Use world file to define the coordinates of the raster" is already unchecked. 

0 Kudos
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Stef,

I talked to an ESRI analyst at the UC. Though she didn't have a quick and hard solution for us, she did offer some good advice!

Once you have created all your link points, before hitting Update Georeferencing, save the link table. That way, if it doesn't work, at least you can re-load the links when you go back to try it again. She also said that what is causing it is probably some errant pair of points (or link). She said to really pay attention to what is on the link table. If there's a row that's amiss or has an usually high RMS, delete it, then try to update.

If all else fails, just rectify.

ChrisDoscher
New Contributor

I have found another workaround that's not posted here, maybe it helps someone. When I georeference a tiff and click update georeferencing on the toolbar a .tfwx worldfile is created, but the image appears back in it's original location. If I then change the file extension .tfwx to .tfw (the old worldfile extension) and re-add the tiff to the map it will be in the correct location.

I have no idea why this works, but honestly by the time I figured it out I didn't care anymore. Good luck!

RickIngle
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem with 10.5.1 but have tried everything suggested and nothing has fixed the problem. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
KellyWright
New Contributor III

This started happening to me too on June 13, 2018. I am using 10.3. Prior to June 14 I had no problem. In ArcMap Options > Raster > Raster Dataset the box for "Use world file to define..." was already uncheked. Rechecking it did not resolve the issue. I'm in the middle of an enormous georeferencing/digitization effort and was hoping to find a resolution here. I am suspicious given that someone else started having this problem within hours of myself. 

0 Kudos
RickIngle
New Contributor III

Kelly,

I experimented and the only thing that I found that worked was NOT building pyramids when I bring the data in.

This allowed me to georeference my image without any problem. The redraw was just a little slower, but I can live with that.

Rick Ingle, GISP, MCF

Senior Systems Analyst - GIS

Manatee County Public Safety / 911

2101 47th Ter E

Bradenton, FL 34203

Lat. 27d27'28.77"N Long. -82d32'12.14"W

941.748.4501 x7889

rick.ingle@mymanatee.org

http://www.mymanatee.org