Georeferencing - Map disappears after adding two control points

Jump to solution
08-28-2015 06:28 AM
AnthonySharp
New Contributor

Good Day,

I have been georeferencing Sanborn Fire Insurance maps and up until now haven't had a problem. I've been adding them to my map one by one and then digitizing them. The one I have been trying to add disappears after adding two control points. I've tried this at least 10 times. I have not been able to find anything concerning this issue. In addition, I am new to gis. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Best,

Anthony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Spoke with Tony this morning, he's one of our grad students here at UT San Antonio,  and is teaching himself ArcGIS to do an independent study.

Seems he has some issues with the Link Tables while georeferencing, and we think he had the "Auto Adjust" check box set when he started with a new image--losing the image when the second link was entered. He's going to check next time.

I'll be having him review the on-line help article starting with:

Fundamentals of georeferencing

And we'll get together at some point to review his work flow to digitize off the georeferenced/rectified Sanborn map sheets.

Thanks!

Stuart

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Anthony Sharp​ If you are looking to create a blog as your title implies then review this document - Creating Blog Posts​.

For georeferencing issues, you might move your discussion to Managing Data​ or Mapping

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Anthony, what us the source of your Sanborn Fire maps?  Are they local graphic files, I.e. .tiff or .jpg?  Something you scanned yourself, purchased, or downloaded? Does the file display without issue outside of  ArcGIS?   That is, can you confirm the file is not corrupt?

0 Kudos
AnthonySharp
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. They are jpg images from a University's website

and they also display outside of GIS

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Rebecca Strauch, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Are there other images that you georeferenced that has the same name as the one you are having problems with? Once the image disappears, have you tried zooming to the image from the table of contents to see where it gets moved to? If it does zoom to the location, you can add a graphic icon on the image and then zoom back to full extent to see where the image resides in comparison to the other layers.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Spoke with Tony this morning, he's one of our grad students here at UT San Antonio,  and is teaching himself ArcGIS to do an independent study.

Seems he has some issues with the Link Tables while georeferencing, and we think he had the "Auto Adjust" check box set when he started with a new image--losing the image when the second link was entered. He's going to check next time.

I'll be having him review the on-line help article starting with:

Fundamentals of georeferencing

And we'll get together at some point to review his work flow to digitize off the georeferenced/rectified Sanborn map sheets.

Thanks!

Stuart

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could turn off the auto-adjustment from georeferencing toolbar, if it bothers you.

If the image doesn't get displayed correctly after updating georeferencing, you might like to review the XY coordinates and the spatial reference.

Think Location
IainStuart
Occasional Contributor

I have had the same problems with old maps playing with the Auto adjust is one solution as is turning everything off and shutting down and rebooting the computer along with having a coffee while waiting for everything to reboot. This seems to calm both ArcGIS and myself but it is frustrating.

It does seem that sometimes after two points are registered the one being registered flys off to a different location. You can see this using Fit to Display so it seems that ArcGIS thinks it is in a different location.

Iain

0 Kudos