Georeferenced map from DavidRumsey.com producing error "KML To Layer" operation

Jump to solution
09-20-2016 12:15 PM
DanikaCooper
New Contributor

I'm working with a Georeferenced map from DavidRumsey.com. It is saved as a .kmz file, but I keep getting "ERROR 000401: No features were found for processing Failed to execute (KMLToLayer)" when I attempt to convert the .kmz file to a layer. Any thoughts on how one might fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I just downloaded a KMZ from the site, saved as KML, opened in text editor, and see that I haven't saved the data at all, but a network link to the data back on the original server. I suspect that's the problem, sort of like how you can't run geoprocessing tools on a web mapping service. Is there any way to actually download the raw data from the site?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is it a case of include ground overlays KML To Layer—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you open it in Google Earth? 

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanikaCooper
New Contributor

@Dan Patterson: I tried both options of including and excluding ground overlays. Both produced the same error.

@Jayanta Poddar: Yes, the image will open in Google Earth and is georeferenced properly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can you make kml files out of the contents... perhaps it is one of the bits if it is a composite 

0 Kudos
DanikaCooper
New Contributor

I can only save a .kmz file from DavidRumsey.com. I've tried opening .kmz

file in Google Earth and saving as .kml; then running KML To Layer as well

as just running KML To Layer on .kmz file. Neither works.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

welll, it is either something with the site, how and what arcmap handles the file or what you are trying to download.

If the site download for the most simple thing works in google and arcmap, then it is what you want that is the issue.

I am not on an Arc* machine so I can't test.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I just downloaded a KMZ from the site, saved as KML, opened in text editor, and see that I haven't saved the data at all, but a network link to the data back on the original server. I suspect that's the problem, sort of like how you can't run geoprocessing tools on a web mapping service. Is there any way to actually download the raw data from the site?