Geocoding in Europe - House number on the right side of address

01-16-2014 11:57 PM
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor
Hi.

I am trying to create geolocator which will geocode addresses in Faroe Islands. The address format is basically very simple. The format is following:

<Street name> <House Number>
<City>
<ZIP Code>

I was able to successfully to use the Single House style which is included in ArcGIS Desktop. However, this style requires addresses to be entered in format <House Number> <Street Name>, and my addresses come in <Street Name><House Number> format.

How can I customize the locator file, in order to achieve this? Or any other suggestion?

Thanks,
Martin S.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterHanmore
New Contributor III
In the .loc.xml file for your locator, look for the <def name="NormalAddress"> section.
The default order of the address components in this section is Number, Street Name
<elt ref="House" weight="15"/>
<elt ref="FullStreetName" weight="80" pre_separator="required" separator_list=".,;-"/>

you should be able to switch these two lines around to match the structure of your Faroe Island addresses:

<elt ref="FullStreetName" weight="80" pre_separator="required" separator_list=".,;-"/>
<elt ref="House" weight="15"/>

You might need to remove the pre_separator property since the street name is now the first component in the address
0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the help. I had little trouble to finding the loc.xml file, becuase I have created my geolocator in Geodatabase.

However, I moved it out of gdb, and saved it just in a windows folder. Then I was able to find the file and make the change.

--
Martin
0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor
Hi.

I have run into another problem. Following the Peter's advice helped when geocoding in ArcMap. However, once I published the geocoder as a service on ArcGIS server, I need to enter the address in the following format when using REST API: <housenr> <streetname>

Using the same service in ArcMap accepts the address in format <streetname> <housenr>.

Any idea?
0 Kudos