Geocoding Addresses with Apartment Units

04-18-2011 11:34 AM
Greene_Chris
New Contributor II
Hi all -

It's been a tedious slog with address locators in 10 so far. Now that the zip code/city/state issues has been resolved with sp1, we are now trying to tackle the addresses with units. 

It seems that the USAddress - Single House locator best fits our needs. I have been setting the Additional Field to our unit field yet when looking at the geocoding results it's obvious that the locator is not seeing this additional field value as an apartment unit. For example, when using the find tool to locate 115 Brown St A, nothing found. However, a search for 115 Brown St will return two options, neither one containing the additional unit information. Has anyone else come across this and found a work around?

As a side note, to get around the zip code issue, I did load in the 931 locators which worked great until I needed to assign privileges to other user groups.

Thanks in advance-

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
68 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I have tweeked the style a bit more and I believe that I should post the updates.
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick reply Brad,

Unfortunately it hasn't helped my issue.  I need a way to score an exact match higher than over-matches (addresses with units).  See screen shot attached.  I need to get the selected result (which exactly matches the searched string) to score higher than any unit address with the same root address.

-chris
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply Brad,

Unfortunately it hasn't helped my issue.  I need a way to score an exact match higher than over-matches (addresses with units).  See screen shot attached.  I need to get the selected result (which exactly matches the searched string) to score higher than any unit address with the same root address.

-chris

Chris,

Did you rebuild with this style?

Brad
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
Chris,

Did you rebuild with this style?

Brad

I created a new locator from the style just to double check.  It still returns the same problematic results. 

If it makes any difference the locator is created in an SDE 10sp2 db and I'm using Desktop 10sp2.

-chris
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I created a new locator from the style just to double check.  It still returns the same problematic results. 

If it makes any difference the locator is created in an SDE 10sp2 db and I'm using Desktop 10sp2.

-chris

You are correct.  I found another issue.  I have attached an update.
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III
That's it!! thanks so much.
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
Brad,
I tried out your updated style and it works good except for when I have an address such as
150 N 1100 E #5 where there isn't a street type, it returns the address cannot be found.
0 Kudos
SargentMcDonald
New Contributor III
I am trying to use BrianO's USAddresswithUnit that he posted here. However , it is doing something strange on the West pre directional. If I use W in the search it gets a score of 68 if I use West it gets 100, even though our reference data is using W.  We only have West directional so I can't tell if it is the other directions too.
I also created a locator with Brad's SingleHousewithUnits posted here and the W - West works fine as either gets 100% as it should. I am trying to get Brian's to work since we have fractional addresses. The xml looks the same in the Street Directions area for both, but they don't act the same.

Any ideas what is wrong?  I am liking the 10 locators, no more alias table to manage. Just need to get the W alias working.
Thanks
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I am trying to use BrianO's USAddresswithUnit that he posted here. However , it is doing something strange on the West pre directional. If I use W in the search it gets a score of 68 if I use West it gets 100, even though our reference data is using W.  We only have West directional so I can't tell if it is the other directions too.
I also created a locator with Brad's SingleHousewithUnits posted here and the W - West works fine as either gets 100% as it should. I am trying to get Brian's to work since we have fractional addresses. The xml looks the same in the Street Directions area for both, but they don't act the same.

Any ideas what is wrong?  I am liking the 10 locators, no more alias table to manage. Just need to get the W alias working.
Thanks

Is the fraction in a separate field?  It looks like there are two reasons that BrianO needed to add fractional types of addresses.
1. It looks like there was a need to support house numbers like 100 A1/2 main st.  Do you also require support for alpha characters in front of the fraction?  If not, the style should handle addresses like 100 1/2 main st.
2. It looks like the reference data that was being used had the fractional house number in a separate field as well which needed to be added to the style OR concatenation to the house number before the locator is built.
0 Kudos
SargentMcDonald
New Contributor III
We have fractional addresses but not with letters before them, just 1/2. I was going to add a fractional field to our data now that I know about these locators. Before we just had it concatenated to the address field (not used in locator) so we didn't geocode with units or fractions. Now it seems I can do both.  Are you saying the the SingleHousewithUnits supports fractions? It seemed to me only Brian's did.  So my issue isn't with the fractions yet (as I haven't got the data set up . I was only testing these for units and the pre directional W in Brian's doesn't work.
Thanks.
0 Kudos