Geocoding Addresses with Apartment Units

04-18-2011 11:34 AM
Greene_Chris
New Contributor II
Hi all -

It's been a tedious slog with address locators in 10 so far. Now that the zip code/city/state issues has been resolved with sp1, we are now trying to tackle the addresses with units. 

It seems that the USAddress - Single House locator best fits our needs. I have been setting the Additional Field to our unit field yet when looking at the geocoding results it's obvious that the locator is not seeing this additional field value as an apartment unit. For example, when using the find tool to locate 115 Brown St A, nothing found. However, a search for 115 Brown St will return two options, neither one containing the additional unit information. Has anyone else come across this and found a work around?

As a side note, to get around the zip code issue, I did load in the 931 locators which worked great until I needed to assign privileges to other user groups.

Thanks in advance-

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
68 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I have attached a style that will work with Apartment Units.  Let me know if you have any issues.

Brad
0 Kudos
Greene_Chris
New Contributor II
Hi Brad -

It took awhile to get back around to geocoding again.  Thanks for posting that locator.  It seems to be doing the trick.  However, have you noticed that it adds a '#' to every match_addr?  I guess it's not important, but I just wanted to make sure that what I'm seeing isn't out of the ordinary.

Thanks -

Chris
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Prior to SP2, we didn't have an easy way to only output formatting if there was a value associated with that component (ie. Apartment number).  Therefore, thee # symbol always gets written out for the Match_addr even if there is no apartment number.  If you have SP2 installed, I can fix it if needed.

Brad
0 Kudos
Greene_Chris
New Contributor II
Thanks for the offer but that's alright.  The match_addr field isn't used for anything at the moment but I figured it didn't hurt to ask about the symbol.

Cheers - Chris
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
Brad, it would be nice if you could fix this locator so the # symbol doesn't always get written out. Thanks.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
This style will only work with SP2 installed.
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
Thanks Brad for the quick response, but I've created a locator using the style you provided and when I reverse geocode using the Address Inspector the # symbol is still being written out after an address that doesn't have a unit number (ie. 111 N 100 E #).  Also if I search for any address in the Find Location Tool or on the Geocoding toolbar using the locator created from the style, Arcmap crashes.  I do have Service Pack 2 installed.
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Sorry about that.  This one is better.
0 Kudos
DaleSimper
New Contributor III
Thanks again Brad, that one works better, but the # symbol is still being written out on addresses that don't have unit numbers when I reverse geocode using the address inspector tool.

Nevermind I got it to work by putting # in the pre_separator for the UnitNumber and taking out the preserve # under the reverse geocoding section. Thanks though.
0 Kudos