Geocoder will not geocode to street if another street has the same name with a suffix added

07-17-2014 12:31 PM
AudreyBrady
New Contributor

Hello all,

My geocoder will not geocode an address if another street has the same name with a suffix attached.  It will not even give that street consideration as a candidate.  For instance I have an address of 730 Longtown Rd 29016.  This road name and address exist in my road file as well as a Longtown Rd W and a Longtown Rd E.  When I geocode it, the matched address is 730 Longtown Rd E 29016.  When I pull up the interactive rematch to see which streets I can manually pick from (though I need this to work automated) no other addresses are being presented as candidates. Does anyone have a solution?  I am attaching a screenshot of the interactive rematch dialog box to show that no other candidates are being presented.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AudreyBrady
New Contributor

120 views and no answers.  Anyone want to take a stab at how to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Here's from viewer 121:

First off, what version of ArcGIS and what types of locators are you using?  Do you provide the field for suffixes?  Are they alias names for the same street?  Is this occurring in a composite locator?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AudreyBrady
New Contributor

Thank you for your quick response viewer 121.

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.2.  I do provide the fields for suffixes.  There is no match in the alias table for the two roads that are being mixed up except the correct road is aka SC-3 in the alias table but the other road has no alias..  This is not a composite locator.

I want to add that if I use the Find Address Function on the Geocoding tool bar and leave out the zip code  it will zoom to the correct location (and I am using my personal locator to run the find on, not the ones from ESRI).  If I use the Geocode Address Tool and use the zip code it will zoom to the wrong location.

Both roads are located in the same zip code.

Thanks for any help,

Audrey

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The part about  if I use the Find Address Function on the Geocoding tool bar and leave out the zip code  it will zoom to the correct location and If I use the Geocode Address Tool and use the zip code it will zoom to the wrong location seems problematic to me, as in how do you spell B-U-G, but I could be wrong.

I am assuming you are using a us streets with zip locator.

Sorry but I'm at a loss-  you might have to bite the bullet and give tech support a call.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AudreyBrady
New Contributor

Thank you Joe for your help.  You might be right and I have to call tech support.

0 Kudos