Fragstats problem - cannot set access window

02-04-2013 03:32 PM
MariaSandercock1
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm trying to run an esri grid through Fragstats, but it's telling me "cannot_set_access_window." According to Fragstats' FAQ this is because there is a space in my filepath, but there is NOT a space anywhere in the filepath. I've tried moving the grid folder to different folders on my computer, including the folder that the tutorial is in (because the tutorial grid runs with no problem). Are there any reasons for getting that error other than having a space in your filename or filepath?

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MParrish
New Contributor
I am having the exact same problem.  I hope someone can help us.  I have encountered this both when I try and run a single arcgrid, as well as when I try and run a batch of them.  Here's an excerpt from my batch import file (no leading or following spaces in the batch file):

s:\msu\spatial\fragstats\arcgrids\feature_m0001,x,0,x,x,IDF_ARCGRID
s:\msu\spatial\fragstats\arcgrids\feature_m0002,x,0,x,x,IDF_ARCGRID
s:\msu\spatial\fragstats\arcgrids\feature_m0003,x,0,x,x,IDF_ARCGRID
s:\msu\spatial\fragstats\arcgrids\feature_m0004,x,0,x,x,IDF_ARCGRID

...but as I said, it also gives me the error when I attempt to run even one of the arcgrids.

I'm running ArcGIS 9.3 (ArcInfo license) and Fragstats 4.1, freshly downloaded and installed.  I added the line to the PATH system variable directing it to the ArcGIS bin folder as well.
0 Kudos
JeffreyEvans
Occasional Contributor III
This is likely a versioning problem and may be very difficult to resolve. Why beat your head against the wall trying to get an ESRI format raster to work? Just convert it to an img format. Its more versatile across software (e.g., R, QGIS, GDAL, etc..) anyway. Another format alternative is ASCII Grid.
0 Kudos
MariaSandercock1
New Contributor
Thanks for your response - I converted to ASCII (using Raster to ASCII tool in ArcGIS 10) and that seems to have worked.

For reference, ArcGIS creates a header at the top of the ASCII file that you have to delete (in a text editor) before putting the file in Fragstats (but write it down first - it has number of rows, columns, cell size, and background value which must be entered into Fragstats when loading the file).
0 Kudos
MParrish
New Contributor
This is likely a versioning problem and may be very difficult to resolve. Why beat your head against the wall trying to get an ESRI format raster to work? Just convert it to an img format. Its more versatile across software (e.g., R, QGIS, GDAL, etc..) anyway. Another format alternative is ASCII Grid.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dr. Evans.  I'm converting my 1,200 arcgrids to *.img format as you suggested.  A trial run looked like it would work for me.  I appreciate your help!
0 Kudos
nedamohammadi1
New Contributor
Dear Jeffery!

It seems this is a good point , but I used to import Batch file , what about that?
I have the error of [cannot_set_access_window],If you know sth about importing batch file and get this problem ?I will appreciate if you could help me?
regards
Nedaaa
0 Kudos
nedamohammadi1
New Contributor

Dear Jeffrey !
As you told I used Ascii file for batch file and I got this error:
boost::too_many_args: format-string referred to less arguments than were passed
I look forward to hear of you.
regards
Nedaaa
0 Kudos
TigistJima
New Contributor
Hey guys, I am working with fragstats 4.1 and I could only access the batch file compatible with only previous version of the program as well as ArcGIS 9.2. Does any one know how to edit the batch file? thank you
0 Kudos