Folder Connections in ArcCatalog

07-25-2017 08:29 AM
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

I am looking for a way to recover my Folder Connections in ArcCatalog.  I had my machine rebuilt and  I kept a copy of my Database Connections, but I didn't know where my Folder Connections are stored.  I was able to copy my Database Connections back into ArcCatalog. Any suggestions on where to find the Folder Connections? 

Tags (1)
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Folder connections are stored under C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.x

If you have kept a backup of the same, you will be able to retrieve the folder connection, else you will need to create the connections all over again.

Think Location
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

Thanks for the input, and yes, that is where my Database Connections were stored, but I'm looking for the Folder Connections. They are easy enough to put back into place, but I was hoping to come across a location where these are stored and simply copy/paste them back. Or, am I missing something?  I've put back four of the connections, and when I navigation to the location you have above, I don't see these four Folder Connections.

And, yes, I do have a copy of my User saved, before I was rebuilt. So, if there is a copy, I should still have it. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try copying all the content of ...\ArcCatalog from the backup, to the current \ArcCatalog folder (inside C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.x).

Think Location
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The ArcCatalog.gx could do the trick, but if you start having any issues (depending on the previous version and new versions) that could a point of issue.  So, keep that in mind and decide whether it may be better to start clean and recreate (maybe only if things get flaky).

0 Kudos
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

Replacing the ArcCatalog folder, which contained the Database Connections and the ArcCatalog.gx & Normal.gxt files, did not bring back the Folder Connections. 

0 Kudos
TomDonovan-Brady1
New Contributor II

Once copied from the roaming folder. try logging off and back on again. Also make sure that when copying files all esri products are closed. it worked for me

0 Kudos