Flow Direction Tool Doesn't Highlight

01-09-2012 10:11 AM
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III
I have a geometric network in ArcSDE and am unable to perform trace tasks.

The geometric network was created as a personal geodatabase and the Utility Network Analyst tool bar works fine with the personal geodatabase, flow arrows display and all trace tasks work.

The feature classes were imported into SDE from the personal geodatabase, a geometric network was created, and the Set Flow Direction in Digitized Direction won't highlight.

How do I fix this and where is my error?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
A few questions:
- Is the data versioned and are you editing when you try and click the Set Flow Direction command?
- Do you have junction feature classes defined as Sources/Sinks in your geometric network?
0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III
It is not versioned.

I have several junction feature classes but none are sources or sinks because, of the tens of thousands of features, just about all of them can be a source or sink.

I took the Working with Geometric Networks for Utilities and according to the class I don't need to define sources and sinks to perform a trace task. I don't have sources or sinks in the personal geodatabase and it works fine.

Don't misinterpret what I'm trying to do, my client will not be doing any modeling with this network, the geometric network is mainly for tracing flow, creating maps, and querying data.
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
You're correct, you do not need sources or sinks defined in order to perform a trace, but you do need to define sources or sinks in order to set flow direction using the Set Flow Direction command.  There are ways to set flow direction that based on digitized direction that does not use sources/sinks, but that is not available through the Toolbar.

If you don't have any sources/sinks defined in the geometric network in the personal, I'm not clear geodatabase on how the Set Flow Direction command is enabled.

Can you explain what it is you're trying to do?  That might help me figure out what is going on.
0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III
Th tool I'm using sets the flow direction in the digitized direction it is not the Set Flow Direction tool on the Utility Network Analyst tool bar which requires you to have sources or sinks.

We got the Set Flow Direction by Digitized Direction tool from a serch in Esri Support, we use it everytime we edit without any problems. I used the tool in 9.3 and I've also installed and used it in 10.
http://edndoc.esri.com/arcobjects/8.3/samples/network/utility%20network%20analysis/flow%20by%20digit...

After some thought, I thinking I may have just solved the problem.

Thanks for your help, if I need further help on this I will contact you and if my solution works I'll let you know what the problem was.
0 Kudos