Feature Classes in File GeoDatabase Can't Open after System Backup

12-27-2017 12:41 AM
Elijah
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have some feature classes in file geodatabase which I backed up. Now, the file geodatabase appears empty when called up/opened Arcmap. But I can see the files when opened in file explorer (see attached figure). I noticed the file names have times stamps appended on them; could that be the problem?? Please, how can I recover the files.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Were you following up the instructions in .

...backup a desktop geodatabase? And if so did you see the topics beginning at...

... restore a desktop geodatabase, which includes 'move' etc 

Kunle_Adesida
New Contributor II

@Dan,

No I just went to read up the pages>

I didnt really know there was such procedure for backing up a geodatabase file.

Does it me I have lost all the files just like that? What are the possible work around??

The file opens in windows explorer and shows the data size but appears as empty in Arc. Please, what's the way out??? I really need the data

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You didn't explain ... which I backed up ...

exactly what did you do?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Recover File Geodatabase.... the tool exists for arcmap and PRO... did you try it?

0 Kudos
Kunle_Adesida
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan for following up.

---You wanted to know how I backed up?? Sorry, didn't make that clear earlier on I think.

This is what happened. I backed up all my files using normal windows back up process ("backup file"). This processed worked. All the files were backed up. Notice however that each time windows backs up files, it appends a date to the file name. This happened to all the geodatabase files I backed up through this process (please see attached).A view of the Geodatabase file as seen from the browser

Unfortunately, the windows "restore file" didn't work after formatting the system. So the backed up files continue to have the dates appended to them. Upon, copying the files into the system (manually), the geodatabase files are not recognized by Arc as they appear empty, but one can see the files with the dates appended when opened in the browser (as it appears on the attached image).

I need these files, what's the way out???

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

grief... windows backup wasn't the route 

I would hate to suggest anything at this point, but to recommend contacting tech support.

An obvious solution would be to parse the date portion out of the file path but I am not convinced that would work

0 Kudos