Feature Class to Feature Class tool - Field Map move up/down

Jump to solution
07-21-2017 08:57 AM
JoanneMcGraw
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know if there is some limiting factor in the Feature Class to Feature Class tool's dialog that inhibits the movement of entries in the Field Map list up and/or down? I've even gone so far as to try a small polygon feature class with only 2 fields (beyond the standard OBJECTID, Shape, etc. fields which I am not transferring because I'm happy to have them regenerated in the new feature class I am creating) and the list still doesn't update when I try to move the second field up above the first. No error given; just nothing happens. I've also tried making the new feature class anyway, thinking that perhaps it just wasn't being updated in the GUI...alas, no joy!

I am working in ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1.

If this is a bug, I'll contact support to report it.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoanneMcGraw

Yes, thank you, Dan. Unfortunately, I don't have 10.5. 

I just found the following as well: https://community.esri.com/thread/3944#comment-654161 which identifies it as a bug and identifies as fixed in 10.5 (NIM063115: The Re-order Field (Up and down arrow) button is not.)

I guess that's the answer. 

Oh, and added later, I guess the only thing I can do to reorder fields is rename all my existing fields, create new fields with the same names in the order I want, calculate the values from the old fields to the new ones and delete the old ones. Wow...It really sucks that there are hundreds of them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

works in 10.5.1 ... select the field, then the up/down arrows to move

JoanneMcGraw

Yes, thank you, Dan. Unfortunately, I don't have 10.5. 

I just found the following as well: https://community.esri.com/thread/3944#comment-654161 which identifies it as a bug and identifies as fixed in 10.5 (NIM063115: The Re-order Field (Up and down arrow) button is not.)

I guess that's the answer. 

Oh, and added later, I guess the only thing I can do to reorder fields is rename all my existing fields, create new fields with the same names in the order I want, calculate the values from the old fields to the new ones and delete the old ones. Wow...It really sucks that there are hundreds of them.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Time to upgrade

0 Kudos