Facility ID using Object ID to autopopulate wrong values.

06-10-2014 06:30 AM
NicholeKrist
New Contributor
I have been on the phone with ESRI for hours and hours over various days, we still cannot find a reason or a solution to this issue.

I did not originally create our sde database.  There is of course an object ID field, we have a Facility ID field, it autopopulates when a feature is created.  I would like to stop that, also the big problem is that for example, my fire hydrants have a facility id that the engineers use, I need to keep that ID the same throughout the life of the hydrant.  I created a new feature class for the hydrants with more fields and a neater layout.  When I use the object loader to transfer the old hydrants data to the new feature class all of the feature classes are renamed using the object id value.  I tried to use filed calculator, did not work, I tried to just manually change the field to the value I wanted it to be and it would snap back to the default value. 

I really need an answer on this, it's been weeks of researching what could be the cause or what the solution could be.

I am using arc 10.2.1 and sql server also windows 7

thanks

cartogal
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have been on the phone with ESRI for hours and hours over various days, we still cannot find a reason or a solution to this issue.

I did not originally create our sde database.  There is of course an object ID field, we have a Facility ID field, it autopopulates when a feature is created.  I would like to stop that, also the big problem is that for example, my fire hydrants have a facility id that the engineers use, I need to keep that ID the same throughout the life of the hydrant.  I created a new feature class for the hydrants with more fields and a neater layout.  When I use the object loader to transfer the old hydrants data to the new feature class all of the feature classes are renamed using the object id value.  I tried to use filed calculator, did not work, I tried to just manually change the field to the value I wanted it to be and it would snap back to the default value. 

I really need an answer on this, it's been weeks of researching what could be the cause or what the solution could be.

I am using arc 10.2.1 and sql server also windows 7

thanks

cartogal

Sounds like a property of the database; maybe there is an ArcObjects class extension that fires.  I'm no expert on such matters by any means.  If you were loading new features into the old feature class, I'd say it is a sql trigger in the delta tables.  What if you:

Back up your SQl db
Create a stand alone file geodatabase
Create an empty hydrants feature class in the fgdb with the attribute table of your design
Back up your SQl db
Using the simple data loader (not the object loader) load the old features and then the new features into the FGDB feature class
Back up your SQL DB
Delete the SQL db feature class (Have I mentioned backing up your SQL db prior to doing this?)
Export/Import the 'new feature' class into your sql db

Or.... don't use the object loader and just use the simple data loader in your original scenario, and see if that makes a difference...

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NicholeKrist
New Contributor
thanks Joe, we did look for triggers and there are not any.
0 Kudos