Extracting state-wise(polygons) data from netcdf files

04-11-2016 11:27 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a .nc4 file of leaf area index values for all the states (lower 48) in the US but I want to extract the data for each state individually. Each pixel in the .nc4 file has a time series dataset in it.

I first converted the netcdf file to a raster layer in ArcGIS and then used a state wise shapefile to clip the raster layer to the shape boundary. But the .lyr file created, does not have the time series data in it. Is there a way to extract these polygons from the raster layers and convert the state-wise polygons back to a netcdf format?

The reason why I need to convert it back to netcdf is because I am using Matlab (ncread command) to read the dataset, interpolate values and even for plotting.

Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a similar question but am interested in clipping netcdf files to watershed area.  I found a Python package called openclimateGIS that seems like it would do the trick, but I am not familiar with Python.  OpenCilmateGIS

Did you find a solution that worked for you?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Dear Varsha Gopalakrishnan

first you convert  the netcdf file to a raster layer then raster to point  then clip point layer  by .shp of your district  ....then spatial join point  layer to .shp of your distrcit...i hope it will be helpful 

0 Kudos