Extract Error Inspector

02-13-2012 06:41 AM
LauraDavenport
New Contributor
Hello,

How do I extract all of the errors in the topology tool error inspector to a file (txt, xls, or other)?

Thank you,

Laura
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hey Laura,

Unfortunately, the only way to export the topology errors is to use the Layer Properties of the Topology layer in ArcMap > Errors tab. There you have Generate summary button. After clicking this, the Export to file button is activated. This is the one you should use. You can export to a .txt file.

After you've saved this, open MS Excel. If you have 2007 (which I guess you do), go to the Data ribbon section > Get External Data (From Text) > choose the .txt file you've just saved. Choose the comma as the delimiter. This will let you get a pretty the same view of the report you see in the Errors tab in ArcMap.

Hope this works for you.
0 Kudos
LarryNierth
New Contributor III
The extract summary only gives the totals - not all the rows and columns of individual errors.

Here�??s how I did it in version10.0

Create a file geodatabse
Create a feature dataset inside of it
Put your feature classes inside the feature dataset.
Create your topology and run validation.
Drag the topology into ArcMap to see the �??dirty areas�?�
Open the editor toolbar  Edit ->start editing
Click the topology inspector to see the table of errors.
Shift click to highlight all the records listed in the error box from top to bottom
Now, Right click the selected rows -> select features.

This will use the topology like a relate and select the corresponding feature in the actual feature classes that have the errors.  Now, right click on your layer and export the selected features to a separate feature class.

Hope this helps �??Larry Nierth
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Larry, good point. I am not sure what Laura wanted to export - the actual feature classes or just the list of errors. Anyway, we gave her guidance regarding both workflows.
0 Kudos