Export raster - no 'snap raster' option

05-14-2010 04:56 PM
jimparsons
New Contributor III
I'm exporting portions of raster based on the current view extent. What I find is that the newly exported raster doesn't snap to the old one. The cell size is obviously the same, but the alignment is based on the arbitrary screen pixels at the time of export. I can see why this happens, but I'd like to option to export based on current viewing extent WHILE maintaining the original cell snap.

The fact that ArcGIS is shifting the cells alignment suggests it's interpolating a new dataset, and it's not asked me if it should do that with neirest neighbour, linear, bilinear etc.....and that isn't right. I don't want to move all my cells. I want them to snap on the original data.

IS the only way to do that to manually type in the corner bounds? Or is there a snap raster environment for right click -> data export? If so I haven't found it yet. Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimparsons
New Contributor III
The only solution I can see is to custom set the export bounds using the Clip (management) tool. Unless I am mistaken, 'Export raster data' is flawed.

It is quite surprising to me that the raster->data export is actually a data resample tool rather than a pure export tool.

The help in 9.3 for "Export Raster Data dialog box (ArcMap)" does not say anything about the new rasting being misaligned with the original data, and this is obviously deeply troubling for any subsequent operations that demand perfectly coregistered data.

Can anyone comment please? Thank you
0 Kudos
AndrewOrr
Occasional Contributor
I wish someone had replied to this thread. I have the same problem right now and it's quite frustrating.

-Andy
0 Kudos
StevePeaslee
Occasional Contributor
Andy,

That does look like an oversight so I would try another method of exporting your raster data.

The Geoprocessing environment has a 'Snap Raster' setting. It is under 'General Settings'.

If that doesn't work with the 'Export Raster Data' tool, try it in combination with the 'Conversion Tools/To Raster/Raster To Other Format' tool.

-Steve
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

The export dialog doesn't honor any geoprocessing environments.  Everything you can do with the export dialog is in ArcToolbox.  If you need to snap the output you must use geoprocessing tools and set the environment settings correctly.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos