Error with Database Server Tutorial / Bad login User

07-30-2013 09:37 AM
ThomasMcCracken
New Contributor III
Hello World!

I'm following the database servers tutorial ESRI provides for 10.1 located here:  http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Exercise_2_Load_data_into_the_geodatabase_....

I get to Exercise 2 and try to create a feature dataset and I get this message:  "Bad Login User. Success".  And then I can't do anything with the new geodatabase created in Exercise 1.  I've searched and searched and tried a whole bunch of different things but can't find the answer.

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, I don't have a ArcGIS Server authorization number so I can't get the ESRI Customer Care Portal file needed to enter in the "Arc_SDE" list in the registry as described here:  http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/69245-Can-t-create-new-geodatabase-on-database-server?highlight=bad....

Having Fun!!

-T
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Thomas,

Did you run the "enable geodatabase" part of the ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express Personal setup wizard?  You don't need ArcGIS Server for that.

As you indicated, the database was not actually created.  There's a known refresh issue in the Catalog tree - the geodatabase shows up even though it isn't there.  If you close and reopen the client, the geodatabase is no longer under the Database Servers.

The usual reason for the geodatabase not being created is the SQL Server Express instance not being properly enabled to store geodatabases.  In the case of the forum post you included, that was for the workgroup variety.  I've not heard of this problem occurring when you run the ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express Personal setup wizard.

Try running that portion of the setup wizard again.  If you still can't create a geodatabase - truly create one, not just a phantom ;), please contact tech support, as we need to log that as a new incident.
0 Kudos
ThomasMcCracken
New Contributor III
Interesting.  Where might I find said "ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express Wizard"?  I downloaded SQL Server Express myself through Microsoft so I never used any wizard from ESRI.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Interesting.  Where might I find said "ArcSDE for Microsoft SQL Server Express Wizard"?  I downloaded SQL Server Express myself through Microsoft so I never used any wizard from ESRI.

Should be on your desktop install disc....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ThomasMcCracken
New Contributor III
Don't have an install disc...I get the trial version off the esri.com website and then enter in the license server...is there somewhere on my hard drive it would be located???
0 Kudos