Error when copying features from file geodatabase to ArcSDE

05-15-2014 02:12 PM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II
When copying features from file geodatabase to the enterprise geodatabase (using copy & paste), an error that says: The number of points is than required for features. Repair geometry is used before copying. This is shown in the shots below.

Regards,

Hani

1- [ATTACH=CONFIG]33847[/ATTACH]

2-[ATTACH=CONFIG]33848[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

Some brief Googling yields an article that suggests that your issue may be related to either (1) a polyline feature with two vertices that are both located at the same location, or (2) polygon feature with less than three vertices.  Your screenshot appears to show polygons being copied from FGDB to SDE, so I believe the likely culprit would be the latter cause I mentioned.  If this, in fact, is the issue then should find out which features in your feature class have less than three vertices.  Toward the bottom of the article I provided above, there is a comment / suggestion about how best to calculate the number of vertices per feature.  If you have a large feature count, then something like that would be helpful.  Lastly, once you have identified the feature(s) with less than three vertices, insert a vertex to correct the issue and save your edits.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The SE_TOO_FEW_POINTS error (-148) can occur when the integerization of
coordinate locations collapses very small polygons or lines -- when using the
default XYSCALE, an area or length of less than one millimeter.  If you increase
the precision (reduce the value), you may be able to retain the polygon, but
you also need to consider whether a feature that can only be seen with a
microscope really belongs in a GIS database.

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

When copying features from file geodatabase to the enterprise geodatabase (using copy & paste), an error that says: The number of points is than required for features. Repair geometry is used before copying. This is shown in the shots below.

Regards,

Hani

The SE_TOO_FEW_POINTS error (-148) can occur when the integerization of
coordinate locations collapses very small polygons or lines -- when using the
default XYSCALE, an area or length of less than one millimeter.  If you increase
the precision (reduce the value), you may be able to retain the polygon, but
you also need to consider whether a feature that can only be seen with a
microscope really belongs in a GIS database

- V

Hani,

You are probably working in cooperation with Jamal, aren't you? I see the same UrbanMasterPlans, that Jamal regularly showed in images while posting questions.

Seconding Vince's remarks, you probably don't want to change the default XY scale of the Feature Classes. Stick with the 0.001 default.

Instead, I would suggest, as I already pointed out to Jamal and Vince also more or less points out, to run the ArcGIS Integrate tool with an appropriate setting to get rid of the small polygons collapsing during conversion from FGDB to the SDE geodatabase, before loading the data in the SDE geodatabase.

To find an appropriate value: start out with a rather small value (let's say 0.01 m = 1 cm - NOTE: this will collapse and delete any features less 1 cm wide), than, if the issue with the error message of "The number of points is less than required for the features" persists, possibly use a bigger value (e.g. 0.05 or 0.1 m = 5 or 10 cm). Or, if you are absolutely sure no features less than say 10 cm wide need to be maintained, you could start with 0.1.

Please note Integrate changes features by moving vertices, but this is inherent to the process. It shouldn't  / doesn't change vertices not in conflict with each other (that is: within the XY tolerance of each other). Anyway, make sure you have a backup of the original dataset, before running Integrate, so you can safely experiment.
0 Kudos