Error using sdemon

05-15-2014 12:55 PM
RonVincent
Occasional Contributor
I'm just trying to create a test GDB using SQL Server Express 2008 R2 with ArcSDE 10.2. I can direct connect just fine but I'd like to be able to export out the DBTUNE table using sdedbtune so I've tried creating the SDE service using sdeservice. It works without error. However, when I go to start the service using sdemon I get this error:

esri_sde service failed during initialization.
Please check event log or error log files.
Error starting esri_sde service(0)
Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

In the log file I'm seeing this error:

-------------------------------------------------------
10.2 geodatabase
-------------------------------------------------------
Failed to connect. Denali error: 18456, [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sde'.
2008 error: 18456, [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sde'.
2005 error: 0, IM002:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
init_DB DB_instance_open_as_dba: -93
DBMS error code: 18456
[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sde'.

The SDE user exists and I can log in using it from ArcCatalog and SSMS.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Why not use the Direct Connect syntax to export out the dbtune file? Even that will so the same thing.

sdedbtune -o export -f 'location where the file would be exported' -i sde:sqlserver:sqlserver_instance_name -D database_name -u sde -p sde_password

example:
sdedbtune -o export -f c:\dbtune.sde -i sde:sqlserver:db_server\sqlexpress -D test_gdb -u sde -p sde
0 Kudos
RonVincent
Occasional Contributor
Why not use the Direct Connect syntax to export out the dbtune file? Even that will so the same thing.

sdedbtune -o export -f 'location where the file would be exported' -i sde:sqlserver:sqlserver_instance_name -D database_name -u sde -p sde_password

example:
sdedbtune -o export -f c:\dbtune.sde -i sde:sqlserver:db_server\sqlexpress -D test_gdb -u sde -p sde

That worked. Thanks.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Great!      .
0 Kudos