error in opening shapefile

Jump to solution
07-11-2017 04:05 PM
RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

I have an error opening this shapefile. I tried to upload the file but it exceeds 50 mb so unable to upload it. Can you please help me to solve this problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The error would be highly useful... but in any case ensure there are at least 3 files (one unnecessary as memory serves)... a *.dbf a *.shx and a *.shp  where * is the file's name ie test.shp, test.dbf etc.  Any other files are either projection (*.prj) files or index etc files.

So confirm that all the bits exist, and post the error message

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The error would be highly useful... but in any case ensure there are at least 3 files (one unnecessary as memory serves)... a *.dbf a *.shx and a *.shp  where * is the file's name ie test.shp, test.dbf etc.  Any other files are either projection (*.prj) files or index etc files.

So confirm that all the bits exist, and post the error message

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

... and if possible move this post to Managing Data since this https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback is for questions regarding the use of GeoNet.

0 Kudos
RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

Thank you so much Dan Patterson‌ for the reply. I have downloaded the other files you mentioned with the shape file. And it works. It is a big help to my project. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rupsa... no problem... you may wish to mark the question as being answered so others may know a solution has been found.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to upload it in Map Viewer of ArcGIS Online? Then, you should know FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online? .

By default, there is a limit of 1,000 features when uploading a file (shapefile or CSV file) to a web map on ArcGIS Online.

To upload a file beyond the feature limit set by ArcGIS Online, use feature services. 

Feature Services can be published to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap. Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Think Location
0 Kudos