Error Importing tiff after Re-Projection into ArcPad 10

10-16-2012 09:43 AM
SuzanneRoussie
New Contributor
I have a NYS orthoimagery sid file in UTM 17 projection that I tried to bring into an ArcPad project that is UTM 18 projection.  All orthoimagery in the project is UTM 18 except for 6 sid images that I need. I project the image into UTM 17 as a tiff and now I receive an error and cannot import the tiff. I have tried to export the sid image into other formats (jpg, tif, gif) using the rendered option checked and all I receive is part of the image or a black image when I add the layer into ArcPad, not the whole image. this poses a problem since I need the whole image.  I am on a deadline here and so far I have spent most of today on this and I have no idea how I can accomplish this.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The ortho image is almost 500mb so I do not want to attach it.  Thank you for any help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Will the raster display correctly in ArcMap when projected?  Also is the 500 mb the size on disk or the uncompressed size?  You file as a tif may be much larger than 500 mb.  If it is a Big Tiff or larger than 4 Gigs on disk then I do not think that ArcPad will recognize it. For more immediate help, I would also recommend creating an incident with Esri Support rather than a random forum post. 

ArcPad Raster Information
0 Kudos
SuzanneRoussie
New Contributor
Will the raster display correctly in ArcMap when projected?  Also is the 500 mb the size on disk or the uncompressed size?  You file as a tif may be much larger than 500 mb.  If it is a Big Tiff or larger than 4 Gigs on disk then I do not think that ArcPad will recognize it. For more immediate help, I would also recommend creating an incident with Esri Support rather than a random forum post. 

ArcPad Raster Information

The tiff file does not display correctly in ArcMap after it is projected either, it looks the same as it does in ArcPad, only half the image, or all black.  The original UTM 17 projection will display fine in ArcMap which also has map properties of UTM 18, just like ArcPad and I do not need to project the image to UTM 18 for ArcMap.  I just need to get this to work for ArcPad.  The uncompressed size of the SID file is 6.4GB. I deleted the tiff files since they were not complete so I do not know the uncompressed size.  At this point, forums are my only option.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you projected the file and then you saw that it failed to display, then ArcPad cannot fix that.  If your uncompressed size of your .sid is 4.6 Gigs, than the projected Tif will be at least that size.  Be sure that you have that much room to create a file like that and if you are using a network location, it will not time out.  This time I would check the size of the file created and the display.  If the output is bad again then could also be the version of ArcMap you are using.  If you have ArcGIS 10, then I would think the Big Tiff, which I am not sure would display in ArcPad anyway.  The best route may be to utilize a LizardTech license and then project it back to a sid in that software.  ArcMap cannot export a sid to maintain the compression. 

I would also consider sticking with the coordinate system of the sids and move the vector data, since the exporting and projecting of the sids can create more problems.  I have also been advised to check out the vector data and then add the sids in as an SD card, otherwise the apm will be huge and cause problems.
0 Kudos
SuzanneRoussie
New Contributor
If you projected the file and then you saw that it failed to display, then ArcPad cannot fix that.  If your uncompressed size of your .sid is 4.6 Gigs, than the projected Tif will be at least that size.  Be sure that you have that much room to create a file like that and if you are using a network location, it will not time out.  This time I would check the size of the file created and the display.  If the output is bad again then could also be the version of ArcMap you are using.  If you have ArcGIS 10, then I would think the Big Tiff, which I am not sure would display in ArcPad anyway.  The best route may be to utilize a LizardTech license and then project it back to a sid in that software.  ArcMap cannot export a sid to maintain the compression. 

I would also consider sticking with the coordinate system of the sids and move the vector data, since the exporting and projecting of the sids can create more problems.  I have also been advised to check out the vector data and then add the sids in as an SD card, otherwise the apm will be huge and cause problems.

The projected tif is 7.9gb and I am using ArcMap 10 with the current service pack.  All work is being done local and on HD that is 500GB and only a fraction of that is used.  Unfortunately obtaining a LizardTech license is out of the question. Installing trial software is not possible too so that will not work as a temporary solution.  Since I need to have all the imagery for the state in ArcPad and 85% of the state is in UTM 18 I cannot stick with the original UTM 17 projection, hence the frustration I am encountering right now.  I am not sure of what you mean by moving the vector data but I am assuming that goes with keeping the original UTM anyways.  I already have an apm that I modify with all the previous imagery in it, just change the file names.  What I am trying to do is update the imagery from 4 years ago with current imagery.  Evidently that does not seem possible for the areas that are going to be in a different projection and I guess I am just going to have to leave those for now. This was originally setup by someone else who is no longer around. Thanks again.
0 Kudos