Error : An unexpected error occured in the Select by location command

06-24-2010 11:15 AM
MélanieLambert
New Contributor
My data is in personal geodatabase. I created a join between a layer (WellsLocation) and a other table (WellsSelect) in my geodatabase. I made a basic Definition Query in the layer WellsLocation properties. This query keep only record has value "1" in a field of WellsSelect table. So, when I want to select record in WellsLocation who are interserct a city (cityPolygon) with Select by location I get this error "An unexpected error occured in the Select by location command. General function failure (WellsLocation) Trop peu de parmètres. 1 attendu". My windows is in french that probably why the second part is in french. But, when I removed de SQL statement in Definition Query the selecton by location works well. Anyone knows why I can't use Select by location tool on un layer with a Definition Query ???
0 Kudos
4 Replies
chriss_
New Contributor II
Hi!
I ve the same problem. Did you ever manage to solve this issue?

Best regards
0 Kudos
JohnChurchill
New Contributor III
I have this problem but I have no definition query, I am not in an edit session. I have a line layer in a GDB that has 100 out of 17449 records selected. I am attempting to use the selected records from that line layer to select features in a polygon layer that are within a distance of 3000 m from the selected features in the line layer (polygon layer has 1549 records/features).

I tried running repair geometry and check geometry (no problems identified). I still get the error message "An unexpected error occurred in the Select By Location command". Very frustrating.

BTW the selection works if I export both layers out of my GDB to shapefiles !!!
0 Kudos
JohnChurchill
New Contributor III
I think that this was occurring (in my case) because the GDB was in the Program Files folder and was "read only". The selections worked when I created a copy of the GDB into a different location. Maybe that tidbit will help someone ?!!?
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
From the description it sounds like you may be encountering a known issue when using the 'Select By Location' tool on a join with a definition query, NIM057356.

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDU3MzU2

I would recommend contacting technical support for further information and to confirm if the alternate solutions do not resolve the issue.
0 Kudos