Error: 10.1 Geocoding "Cannot connect to this server"

10-01-2012 02:46 PM
ArinaChesnokova
New Contributor III
Hi! Not a very experienced ArcGIS user, so this might be trivial. Help nonetheless appreciated.

Trying to geocode some addresses from a .csv file. Using the built-in geocoder "10.0 US Streets Geocode Service (ArcGIS Online)"

After a short period (~5 mins), the geocoder quits, returning the following error:
"There was an error trying to process this table.
Cannot connect to this server."

I'm using a virtual desktop to perform the work. Is that the issue?

Many thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianaMcMullen
New Contributor II
I tried doing this as well (from a pc) and have had the same problem.
0 Kudos
EricGordon
New Contributor III
I also am having this same error just processing a list of CITY, STATE in both 10 and 10.1 using ArcGIS geocoders from ArcGIS online that come with the toolbar.  I have tried a .dbf, Excel, and file geodatabase table and get same error. I have tried from both a physical PC and Virtual.
0 Kudos
EvanMacDonald1
New Contributor II
I'm having the same issue...
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Is this still happening? How many records are you trying to geocode with the online services?
0 Kudos
ArinaChesnokova
New Contributor III
Hi Lucas,

I managed to geocode all the addresses that I needed to, but had to do it in batches, because the software would quit every so often. I was trying to geocode ~80,000 addresses in one batch.

I will have to geocode another much larger batch again in about a month, so would appreciate help, so I don't have to do it in batches.

I am using 10.1 advanced bundle on a remote desktop.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
I recommend you download and use a local locator from the ESRI Data and Maps DVD. You can get this at your customer care portal (customers.esri.com) under Software Downloads. There are some limitations with the free ArcGIS Online locators for batch geocoding. They are really meant more for geolocating with the geocoding toolbar or the Find tool, and not for batch geocoding jobs. Depending on the load the servers are getting, it could fail out for batch geocoding jobs, as they weren't really designed for this purpose. I recommend you either create your own Address Locator or download the Data and Maps DVD, which has several locators based of street map data. This will be a more reliable workflow for large jobs, such as what you describe.
0 Kudos
EvanMacDonald1
New Contributor II
Thanks for the tips I will try downloading from the ESRI customer care site... I was trying to geocode 66000 addresses. It would get  3/4 of the way through and produce the error.
0 Kudos
DonaldLund
New Contributor II
I recommend you download and use a local locator from the ESRI Data and Maps DVD. You can get this at your customer care portal (customers.esri.com) under Software Downloads. There are some limitations with the free ArcGIS Online locators for batch geocoding. They are really meant more for geolocating with the geocoding toolbar or the Find tool, and not for batch geocoding jobs. Depending on the load the servers are getting, it could fail out for batch geocoding jobs, as they weren't really designed for this purpose. I recommend you either create your own Address Locator or download the Data and Maps DVD, which has several locators based of street map data. This will be a more reliable workflow for large jobs, such as what you describe.

So I downloaded this data from the customer care portal. Do I now have to build my own locator using the arc toolbox and point it to this data? Can you please point me in the right direction? Do you know of any blogs, wikis, howto's etc. that outline the steps or process? Thanks.
0 Kudos
RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor
I am also looking into building my own composite locator using the data provided on the Maps DVD/download.  I was using the ArcGIS Online North American locator and it is no longer available in 10.1 SP 1. 

There are a few locators pre-built in the Maps data, but they handle full addresses and postal data only.  I need to re-create the functionality of the North American locator (Address, City / State, Street, Zip) in one composite locator using the maps data.

So far I haven't found any way to build the City/State portion of the composite locator based on this data.  I don't see any table that links city and state in the same table.  Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated, and would probably help the other poster as well.

Thank you!
0 Kudos