ENVI files and ArcGIS 10

07-06-2011 10:46 AM
VictoriaHill1
New Contributor
I have been having some major trouble opening files in ArcMap10 that i have processed using IDL and ENVI. I have tried saving my ENVI files with the extension .dat or .img and also saving them as Arcview rasters or Erdas files. While i am able to open them in ArcMap 10, they come up with values from 3.4 +038 to -3.4+038 when the actual values in the pixels are either 0, 1 or 2.

Even when i am able to force the symbology to classified to give me the real values of 0, 1 and 2  it will then refuse to draw the layer, and I am unable to run the raster to polygon program.

It seems like it shouldn't be so difficult, my ENVI files are in integers.

Thank you for any advise.
Yours
Victoria
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi,

Can you try to calculate statistics in ArcGIS on the files in question? It sounds like the files are read in as floating point data.

Robert
0 Kudos
VictoriaHill1
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my problem seemed to be that my values were floats, i converted my numbers back to integers in IDL (using fix) and now they work. Another issue was that i had to copy the projection info from another file as for some reason the data was not being projected properly.

So i have learned that all my values should be floats, does mean that i can never bring in data that has a decimal place? Or is there some other method.

Now i wish that i had started in ERDAS, but alas i am a long time ENVI user.
Thank you
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Greetings,

Even floating point data shouldn't be an issue. Simply calculate statistics on the floating point dataset and then the data should display fine.

Robert
0 Kudos