Elimininating the sde command line tools in 10.3 is a terrible idea.

09-19-2014 09:53 AM
RalphDell
New Contributor

I want to comment on the answer to the  question "What is status of replacing the ArcSDE command line tools?" in the UC Q & A document. Eliminating the sde command line tools in 10.3 is a terrible idea. Many administrative tasks that I have to perform are in scheduled tasks and take place in the middle of the night or other times when I am not at work. I use the sde command line tools for some of those tasks. I do not object to the creation of GUI's. Gui's are useless if I am not sitting at my desk or if a task needs to be performed at odd hours.I realize that I could script the GP tools, and I often do that. Python is not always my preferred choice for performing administrative tasks and going strictly to a GP tool makes working outside of python difficult. Users may be asking for GUI interfaces. Are they really asking for the elimination of command line tools. I would like a responce from ESRI. Ralph Dell, Catawba County NC,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you want a response from Esri, you should really speak with an Esri representative, from either Marketing. or Tech Support, or Product Management, who has the authority to speak for Esri.  While Esri employees are encouraged to participate in GeoNet, most do so as individuals, not as corporate representatives.

There's already a long discussion thread on this topic‌ which discusses some of the reasons for this decision.

Unfortunately, using command-line (ArcSDE) tools on geodatabases (ArcGIS) can create too many conflicts, and having two sets of tools limits what can be done with geodatabases themselves.  From what I can see, it's this last point which is the driving factor for the decision, not a groundswell of dislike for the command-line tools themselves.

- V

0 Kudos
RalphDell
New Contributor

Thank you for that information and the link to previous discussions.

It was my first post on GeoNet and I did not really know how that process worked.

0 Kudos