Edits to polygon feature classes not being saved when I stop editing

05-07-2014 10:42 AM
MariaSchroeder
New Contributor
Why are my changes to polygons not being saved when I stop editing and select "save edits"? I am using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 versiton 10.2.0.3348.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Why are my changes to polygons not being saved when I stop editing and select "save edits"? I am using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 versiton 10.2.0.3348.

You have not given much information that would lead to a diagnosis of your problem.  Can you describe more about what happens that tells you that your edits were there and are now gone?  Do you get any error messages or does ArcMap crash?  Have you tried closing ArcMap and loading the data to a blank map and editing it there?  Do you have any definition query on the layer?  Is the data on a local drive or network drive?  Have you checked that there is sufficient free disk space on the drive?  Does Save Edits work if you do it prior to attempting to stop the edit session?  What kind of data is it (SDE, geodatabase, shapefile, dbase, table, Excel, coverage, etc.).  What operating system are you using?  Have you compressed the geodatabase if you are using one?  Have you looked at your Task Manager for memory usage problems?

There are any number of reasons that could be specific to your computer or network set up, data set up, ArcMap options, etc that could account for this problem.  In any case, I have this version and have never experienced anything like this problem in any version of ArcMap except when I ran out of disk space or had a Personal Geodatabase reach its 2 GB storage limit.
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
Are you editing the vertices or creating feature. If you are creating feature, please let us know which 'Construction Tool'(Polygon, Auto Complete Polygon, Cut Polygon) are you using for creating the polygon feature. If you are using polygon Construction Tool, are you able to find a new row created in attribute table after finishing the sketch. If so, save edits and stop editing and check whether you can find the new row in attribute table. It would be great if you could provide more information regarding the workflow and exact construction tool. Can you zip the data for testing.
0 Kudos
MariaSchroeder
New Contributor
wow, lots of inquiries, I will try to answer, I am trying to get two projects down by tomorrow.
Operating system is Windows 7, 64 bit, on a network, working in geo database. I am creating new polygons, which sometimes do not appear on new lines in the database table, and it is when I am adding vertices in previously created polygons and stop editing, but say "save edits" the changes are not there, the polygon reverts back to its old shape, and sometimes when I add new data to the database table, unless I hit the enter key at the end of the row, the new information is not kept.
And yes, I have recreated in new .mxd's, and that works fine for a while, and then there are problems. And I do save constantly while editing, before I stop editing, if I remember. However these steps are slowing me down and really annoying.
And this is not a constant problem, but consistent, just when I forget about it, it happens.
thanks for any and all help
0 Kudos