Editing attribute tables- Cant delete fields and paste vertically numbers to fields

04-12-2012 06:51 AM
SudeshnaGhosh
New Contributor
Hi,
I am using ArcMap 10 and encountering some problems while editing attribute tables. 
1. I cannot delete certain fields I created in the attribute table of a shape file. I stopped editing (exited edit mode), and then right clicked on the field and clicked delete field. But its not deleting the field. I am not sure what the problem is.
2. Also, when I am editing after start editing. I cannot copy and paste cells from excel (vertically under one field) to the field. All it is saying is that "pasting a string that contains tabs and multiple cells into one cell is not allowed."

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor
Hello,

With regards to the first issue, at the release of version 10 on Windows 7, there was a previous bug that prevented user's from deleting Attribute Table Fields. I would recommend downloading and installing Service Pack 4 to resolve that issue. http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=66&MetaID=1843

You could also use the Delete Fields tool from ArcToolbox or import the shapefile into a geodatabase > delete the fields > re-export to a shapefile.

With regards to the second issue, this is a limitation with copy/paste in the Attribute Table, in order to be able to add those values from Excel, aside from manually typing them in, you could try performing a Table Join between that Excel Table and the Attribute Table in ArcMap.

I hope this helps you out.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
SudeshnaGhosh
New Contributor
Thank you Kevin, that definitely helps me.. For the first issue, I am now able to delete the fields using Arc toolbox data management commands. But for the second one, I know joining a table is an option but I wanted to avoid that. I was using ArcMap 9.3.1 till last month and I was able to vertically copy even 500 or more cells together from a column in excel to a field in attribute table. But it is not working in Arc Map 10 anymore. 😞

I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
Sudeshna
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
What about joining the table and then using the field calculator to get the contents of the fields from the table.  Then you could remove the join if you don't want it there.  As for you comment about being able to paste vertically in 9.3.1 - I never tried it, but based on the way .dbfs work (and the attribute table is a .dbf file) I don't know how you were able to do that in any version.
0 Kudos
SudeshnaGhosh
New Contributor
Hi terry,
Thats a good idea, let me try it. I checked with the help in Arc GIS 10, it says that the same steps should work while copying vertical cells directly from Excel but its not working.

Anyways thanks so much.

Sudeshna
0 Kudos