Editing/Adding data to a new shapefile

09-20-2013 05:12 AM
MxolisiGqesha
New Contributor
I created a new shapefile with all the attributes that I need and have an excel spreadsheet with the data I need to add on my shapefile. The problem I have is that I tried to join the two and the join was successful but it gave me a message taht says the data will not be added to the shapefile and I am confused what to do and I am not sure whether this is the right way. I am using ArcGIS 10 do assist.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Does your spreadsheet have X and Y data? If it does, just create a shapefile with your spreadsheet using Add xy data.

Open an mxd, click on "File" -> "Add Data" -> "Add XY Data..."

Make sure to add Columns to your spreadsheet, and name them the way you want them to be named in your future attribute table.
0 Kudos
MxolisiGqesha
New Contributor
Here is my spreadsheet attached, shape_leng and shape_area are my X and Y.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
When you created the shapefile did you also digitize all the 7 polygons?

Since your spreadsheet has no spatial reference data it can't join it to non existing data.

I'm also confused that your data has a field called shape_length (which is an attribute of a line) and shae_area (which is an attribute of a polygon.
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
I created a new shapefile with all the attributes that I need and have an excel spreadsheet with the data I need to add on my shapefile. The problem I have is that I tried to join the two and the join was successful but it gave me a message taht says the data will not be added to the shapefile and I am confused what to do and I am not sure whether this is the right way. I am using ArcGIS 10 do assist.

No way to create those polygon features based on that excel spreadsheet.
If you want to create polygon feature according to one table, that table must have a sequence of X&Y (point) coordinates.
Your excel table seems like that comes from one spatial data source (with shape area shape length), so you should to find the original spatial data (shapfile or ego database feature class), then to select those features you want , export them.
0 Kudos