DWG file - Direct read/data interoperability extension

06-20-2010 03:42 AM
ChethanS
New Contributor
As a student I use ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 at my institution. We have ArcInfo license for the same. I have taken up a project which involves lot of dwg datasets.

1. We do not have satellite imageries or any kind of base maps for the area. Therefore I plan to use ArcGIS online World imagery for georeferencing the datasets. Am I right? Should I directly georeference the CAD drawings or convert them to GIS formats(like shapefiles) first?

2. As you know AutoCAD dwg files can be directly read by ArcGIS. I was suggested by an expert that Data Interoperability extension is a must for the process. I have been extensively studying the help and other online materials related to the extension from esri but so far could not take any decision. Using the workbench and a spatial ETL tool appears to be the best way but I could not figure out how to use it in my case.

Please help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MitaHajirakar
New Contributor
Hello,

If all you need to do is georeference your dwg files I suggest using the Data Interoperability SpatialETL tool.  Set up the SpatialETL tool to read and write DWG (the dialogue boxes will lead you through this).  Once the SpatialETL tool is created, go into the properties of the destination DWG dataset in the Navigator pane on the left and set 2 parameters:  the "Coordinate System" and "Coordinate System Storage" (I've attached a screenshot of what this looks like).  For "Coordinate System Storage" you can choose from "External PRJ", "Internal ESRI WKT" or both.

The Data Iteroperability Quick Import/Export tools will not give you access to the "Coordinate System Storage" parameter I just described.

I'm not sure about the ArcGIS Direct Read + export features. 

Hope this helps,

Mita Hajirakar
Safe Software Inc.
0 Kudos
ChethanS
New Contributor
Thank you!

I will do the needful now.
0 Kudos
AlexLeReaux
Esri Contributor
As a student I use ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 at my institution. We have ArcInfo license for the same. I have taken up a project which involves lot of dwg datasets.

1. We do not have satellite imageries or any kind of base maps for the area. Therefore I plan to use ArcGIS online World imagery for georeferencing the datasets. Am I right? Should I directly georeference the CAD drawings or convert them to GIS formats(like shapefiles) first?

2. As you know AutoCAD dwg files can be directly read by ArcGIS. I was suggested by an expert that Data Interoperability extension is a must for the process. I have been extensively studying the help and other online materials related to the extension from esri but so far could not take any decision. Using the workbench and a spatial ETL tool appears to be the best way but I could not figure out how to use it in my case.

Please help!

The CAD Resource Center may also help answer many of your questions.

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/cadintegration/10.0/georeferencing
0 Kudos