Detect Feature Change 10.3

03-22-2016 02:57 PM
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III

I am new on 10.3 and eagerly try to use the Detect Feature Change tool.

I found that the result N (new) and D (deletion) have Identical Features (they are exactly the same feature in both N and D).

How to explain it?

Thanks in advance!

Holly

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

This link should help you in understanding the concepts:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Holly,

I am not sure if this link is different from the one Asrujit posted, but here is the document sheet for Detecting Feature Change in 10.4 (with an option to view the instructions on 10.3 by clicking on "other versions"):

Detect Feature Changes—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

blueincspatial
New Contributor II

I found the same thing as Holly: some of the 2679 linear features I'm running through the tool have been flagged both as D and as N.

I thought I would familiarize myself with the tool by comparing a feature class in a file geodatabase to itself. To do this, I copied the original GDB and then pointed the Update Features to the first GDB and the Base Features to the second GDB and ran the tool with a Search Distance of .01m (our established standard tolerance). That's it, nothing else, none of the optional parameters filled in.

I would expect that the tool would return every record as 'NC' (No Change) because I haven't changed anything at all but...as Holly pointed out, some of the records are flagged as both 'N' (New) and 'D' (Deleted). An examination of the optional output table when I reran it shows that for many of the SRC_FID values, there are -1 values in the TGT_FID and further down, those exact same SRC_FID show up in the TGT_FID with a SRC_FID value of -1.

Why are these records not being matched? The GDBs are identical and all the records should be 'NC'. What am I missing?

TIA

Brian

ArcMap 10.2

0 Kudos
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

I never did. Or I don't think I did: it's been a while! 🙂 I perform all my change detection now using FME. MUCH more fine-grained...

0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III

Agree: Can't trust.

0 Kudos
ColinLang1
New Contributor III

Did you ever have any success with solving this?  I am running into the same situation - I have a feature class with 67767 lines, and I'm comparing against a historical version of the same feature class, and I have about 15 records that show up in the results as a "D"elete and "N"ew feature instead of matching, despite having identical geometry and all attributes also identical.  If I can't trust this tool to match all the records then I can't reliably use it at all.