Delete is grayed out for only one set of data within a GDB.

Jump to solution
09-15-2014 01:41 PM
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III

Using 10.1, ArcCatalog, personal geodatabase with two feature datasets.

In one of the feature datasets I am able to delete the dataset or any of the feature classes within that dataset but when I try to delete the other feature dataset or a feature class in it the Delete is grayed out. Is my GDB corrupted or a bug, or??? There isn't a lock on the database either when I'm trying to do this.

This is all occurring in the BISDM3.mdb I downloaded from Esri.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Here is a copy of that same geodatabase with the Network Dataset deleted, in case that helps.

Also mark the helpful posts and close the thread if you have no other questions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JacobKohute
New Contributor II

Could it be the network in the Feature Dataset causing you to not be able to delete the feature class?

0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III

Jacob,

There are no networks.

0 Kudos
JacobKohute
New Contributor II

In your screenshot, 3 below the FloodLines class you're trying to delete is a street network.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III

Jacob,

I'm a little embarrassed, it never even dawned on me that it was a network, I've created and worked with networks but never had an issue with not being able to delete the network before. I checked Administration, it's not compressed.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
JacobKohute
New Contributor II

It could also be compressed. I can't remember if a compressed fgdb feature class needs to be uncompressed first.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What I am suggesting is actually a workaround. You can try this if you want.

1. Create a new Personal geodatabase.
  2. Copy the entire 'Transportation' dataset to this new geodatabase.
  3. Check that all the data came through and you are able to delete this feature class in the new geodatabase.
  4. Then you can delete the problematic dataset in the original geodatabase and copy the good one back into the original.
  5. Try to delete the feature class now.
0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III

Asrujit,

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a work around and I'll probably end up doing it, but I don't want to, and I shouldn't have to. As functional and powerful (and as much as it costs) as this software is there has to be a solution other than a work around. This is either a simple solution such as a check box or something, or a bug, or the GDB is corrupt. I want to figure out the issue before I do the work around.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I guess, you can just upload the gdb here, for us to test with to confirm that. You can zip it up and upload it here.

NOTE: Make sure there is no confidential data in there.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Sieger
New Contributor III

Is that possible? How would I do that? I'm used to the old forum version, this is the first time I've been on this version.

0 Kudos